2001 Dodge 2500, 322k miles, 37k OCI on RT6

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Polaris Labs.

Truck Odometer: 322167 mi
Miles on oil: 37000
9 quarts of makeup oil added during OCI.
Fleetguart Stratapore filter used through entire OCI.

Wear Metals:
(Element (ppm); 235k, 322k)
Iron; 42, 52
Chromium; 3, 3
Al; 4, 5
Cu; 3, 4
Lead; 9, 31

Contaminants:
Silicon; 6, 13
Sodium; 8, 6
Potassium; 62, 0

Multi-source metals:
Moly; 75, 76
Boron; 83, 38

Additive metals:
Mag; 1333, 1198
Calcium; 960, 1111
Phos; 1138, 1104
Zinc; 1439, 1471

Fuel Dilution; Soot; Water;
KV100 (cSt); 15.1, 15.1
TBN; 6.54, 6.99
Oxidation; 15, 16
Nitration; 10, 10

Polaris' Comments: Flagged data does not indicate an immediate need for maintenance action. Continue to observe the trend and monitor equipment and fluid conditions. LEAD is at a MODERATE level and may be overlay metal from main/rod bearings.

I installed this oil and filter last August and put 12k miles on running my normal duty cycle of 80% daily driver/ 20% race car trailer tower. Then in late December, I started towing travel trailers all over the place, and put 25k miles on with a more aggressive duty cycle of 50% towing/ 50% deadheading back to base. I should have changed the oil a month earlier, but it got away from me.

Iron wear is actually lower than the previous sample, with an average rate of 1.4 ppm/kmile versus 1.75 ppm/kmile back in 2013.

The worst reading is a spike in Lead, going from 9 to 31. There was one instance of using ether to start the engine on a cold day, and maybe that boumced the crank and rods around a bit. Hopefully the lead will drop over the next couple of samples. Fortunately there in no spike in Copper going along with the lead, so probably no bearing lining distress.

The previous sample showed a large spike in Potassium, and that has dropped off to 0.

I was using new bottle RT6 to top off the oil which was old bottle RT6 at initial fill. I put in a total of 9 quarts in over the 37k miles. It seems that the new formula has less Mg, more Ca, less B, and basically the same ZDDP as the old RT6.

Fuel dilution, soot, and water content are same as always. KV100 and Nitration are the same, and a slight increase in Oxidation.

There was plenty of TBN left, no doubt due to the 9 quarts of makeup oil.

I'll do the next oil change at 24k miles to monitor the Lead, then start thinking about how long to actually go for future OCI's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Very nice - great post. The 37k on one oil filter will drop a few jaws. It holds 11 qts?

12 quart system volume, including filter.

Alex-V, I have a illness for OBS fords 97 and older. So the 7.3 powerstroke at 225flywheel power is the defualt.
I have no problem finding side short hauls and ect.

But I have DOT inspections, PM/repair records, bond, and am pre pdf/eura/problems.

Harvey

Great numbers for that long (other than maybe the Pb). Thanks for posting. Don't get to see that kind of OCI very often. Good to know for extending OCIs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Impressive. How do ya get that gig hauling TT's? I'd have thought a truck of that age would be weeded out of any for-hire use.

I had to apply at a few places before I found one that didn't mind the age of the truck. The others were asking for no more than 10 years old. I have talked to a few drivers around town that have 2-3 year old trucks that already have 300k+ miles on them, so the miles run up very quickly in this line of work. I worked my truck very lightly in the 13 years before putting it into commercial service, and have spent the money when necessary for major maintenance. As long as the frame is solid and the engine is good, everything else can be fixed. I had the transmission rebuilt and the clutch replaced last year, so at least that part is good to go for this year. I had the diff rebuilt back in 2011, so it has some miles on it, but runs quiet. The DOT inspection turned up a loose Pittman arm, which was replaced, and the truck drives true now.

I'm not trying to be a hero by taking on the heaviest trailers in the yard. I have turned down a couple of hauls that would have exceeded the truck's factory ratings, and I think (hope?) that the company dispatchers respect me for that.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
12 quart system volume, including filter.

So, 75% makeup/added oil?

Yep. That's about 4000 miles/quart, which isn't bad, and is about the same as it's always been.

Fantastic!

I love to see folks push out the OCIs to some level that indicates more than a whimsy of thought went into it.
All is fine except for the Pb, and that could be a particle streak, or as you state, perhaps the ether? Won't know until you do a check later if it settles or not. Generally running clean; low soot and oxidation, and Si very manageable.

I would highly recommend you consider getting a Fumoto drain valve. Sample perhaps every 10k miles for a while, then as you get closer, you could go every 5k miles for samples? (Fumoto or other brand; does not matter. I have one on my Dmax; can sample "live" stream.)

Excellent info; thanks for sharing.

Ever thought about running the Stratapore Venturi? Those stacked discs look like they could hold a lot of soot & dirt. Also, why not regular Rotella T 15W40? The '02 Dodge Cummins Ram I used to have would start instantly no matter what viscosity of oil was in it, and I bet the 15W40 would burn off (& leak) much more slowly than the RT6.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Couple of questions...

You're running the regular StrataPore? No bypass filtration?
Any fuel additives?

Yes, the regular Stratapore, and no bypass filtration.
I run Power Service white bottle in the winter, silver bottle in the summer. Not in every tankful, about every 4th, or if I have bought fuel in a warm state, and driven into a cold state. I've been running through so much fuel, it doesn't stay in the system long enough to cause problems!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Fantastic!

I love to see folks push out the OCIs to some level that indicates more than a whimsy of thought went into it.
All is fine except for the Pb, and that could be a particle streak, or as you state, perhaps the ether? Won't know until you do a check later if it settles or not. Generally running clean; low soot and oxidation, and Si very manageable.

I would highly recommend you consider getting a Fumoto drain valve. Sample perhaps every 10k miles for a while, then as you get closer, you could go every 5k miles for samples? (Fumoto or other brand; does not matter. I have one on my Dmax; can sample "live" stream.)

Excellent info; thanks for sharing.

Yes, I think I will take an oil sample at ~12k miles (about 1.5 months) to see how things are going. The drain plug on my truck is the kind that can be cracked open and it will trickle out a controllable stream. I just make sure to clean the oil pan and my wrench thoroughly before cracking the plug open.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Ever thought about running the Stratapore Venturi? Those stacked discs look like they could hold a lot of soot & dirt. Also, why not regular Rotella T 15W40? The '02 Dodge Cummins Ram I used to have would start instantly no matter what viscosity of oil was in it, and I bet the 15W40 would burn off (& leak) much more slowly than the RT6.

Yes, it sounds like a great filter. I had the Stratapore for this oil change already on the shelf, so I used it. Maybe next time I'll get the Venturi, if I can find it.

I mostly like the cold start advantage of the 5w40, and also the universal availability of RT6 at every WalMart, and convenience of using one oil year-round. No need to time the weather, or worry if I'm going to be driving into a cold part of the country. So far this winter, I've been in Louisiana one week, and Thunder Bay, Ontario the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back