Sunoco about to join the Top Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
There is a lot of dominance when you consider that the mother ship (Marathon Oil) goes at it with two marques: Speedway and Marathon Oil.
Even though most oil companies still have some company owned stations, not many can say that they operate under two brands.

Sure about that? With all the consolidation in the industry I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of oil companies that operate under two (or more) brands.

ExxonMobil is of course the most obvious. They still market as Esso in some countries. Phillips 66 has that brand, as well as Conoco and 76. Chevron has their brand, as well as Texaco and even the occasional Standard branding. BP has a variety of brand names - they still use Amoco as well as BP branding. BP used to own ARCO too, but now have some complicated relationship where they still own the ampm brand name, and operate ARCO stations in some regions under a licensing agreement. Valero operates a bunch of different brands

I'm talking US and in the same market.
You don't usually see oil companies differentiating franchisee and company stores in the same market using different marques.
To use your example of ARCO and BP, both are regional. That is why one does not see ARCO in the Midwest or on the east coast anymore.
Valero generally operates under the Valero name. There still may be an odd ball Shamrock station around (I know of one,) but everything is generally promoted as Valero on a national level. I believe they have their own chain of Mini-marts, but they still sell Valero fuel.
Conoco has a number of brands, but most of those are regional; although, there does seem to be some movement to reconstitute the brand(s) nationwide again. I know of one 76 station in Ohio. I gave up my 76 gas card when they pulled out of the state about 15 years ago.
Around here we have a few rare Exxons and Mobils. They are relatively scarce. However, they are all franchisees and one one does not see an Exxon and a Mobil on opposing corners competing around here.
My point was (and still is) that it appears Marathon is using company stores (Speedway) to compete against franchisees (Marathon.) Even though it increases their market share, I'm not sure what the advantage is to owning a Marathon station.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
There is a lot of dominance when you consider that the mother ship (Marathon Oil) goes at it with two marques: Speedway and Marathon Oil.
Even though most oil companies still have some company owned stations, not many can say that they operate under two brands.

Sure about that? With all the consolidation in the industry I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of oil companies that operate under two (or more) brands.

ExxonMobil is of course the most obvious. They still market as Esso in some countries. Phillips 66 has that brand, as well as Conoco and 76. Chevron has their brand, as well as Texaco and even the occasional Standard branding. BP has a variety of brand names - they still use Amoco as well as BP branding. BP used to own ARCO too, but now have some complicated relationship where they still own the ampm brand name, and operate ARCO stations in some regions under a licensing agreement. Valero operates a bunch of different brands

I'm talking US and in the same market.
You don't usually see oil companies differentiating franchisee and company stores in the same market using different marques.
To use your example of ARCO and BP, both are regional. That is why one does not see ARCO in the Midwest or on the east coast anymore.
Valero generally operates under the Valero name. There still may be an odd ball Shamrock station around (I know of one,) but everything is generally promoted as Valero on a national level. I believe they have their own chain of Mini-marts, but they still sell Valero fuel.
Conoco has a number of brands, but most of those are regional; although, there does seem to be some movement to reconstitute the brand(s) nationwide again. I know of one 76 station in Ohio. I gave up my 76 gas card when they pulled out of the state about 15 years ago.
Around here we have a few rare Exxons and Mobils. They are relatively scarce. However, they are all franchisees and one one does not see an Exxon and a Mobil on opposing corners competing around here.
My point was (and still is) that it appears Marathon is using company stores (Speedway) to compete against franchisees (Marathon.) Even though it increases their market share, I'm not sure what the advantage is to owning a Marathon station.

ExxonMobil is reintroducing both the Exxon and Mobil brand names in the San Francisco Bay Area after Exxon exited in 2000. Mobil stations went away even earlier. It's kind of a slow introduction so there isn't an Exxon station on one corner and a Mobil on an opposite corner yet, but it's kind of early.

https://www.exxon.com/en/Find%20Station?latitude1=37.54456122086484&longitude1=-122.7029335908203&latitude2=38.08699722189853&longitude2=-121.66335229199217&q=oakland,%20ca&WT.mc_id=700000001358229_71700000014381153_58700001193283667_p10542430865&WT.srch=1

Apparently part of this is a licensing agreement with Tesoro. A look at many of these locations show that they're named something like "TESORO # 63049".

Quote:
http://tsocorp.com/customers-and-suppliers/retail/

Branded Retail Portfolio

Tesoro’s retail-marketing system includes more than 2,400 retail stations in 16 states under the ARCO®, Shell®, Exxon®, Mobil® USA Gasoline™, Rebel™ and Tesoro® brands. These stations are supplied with California Air Resources Board (CARB) and conventional gasoline and CARB and conventional diesel fuels produced at our six refineries.

Brand Rights

Tesoro wholly owns the Tesoro, ARCO and USA Gasoline brands. Through acquisitions and partnerships, we have secured limited rights to utilize the Shell, Exxon and Mobil brands at retail stations in specific geographic areas.

Well, Sunoco is my #3 station I fill at. Kroger and Shell are first and second depending on which has the better discount. I have Fuel Rewards at Shell and then Kroger has their points for their fuel. Yes, I know Kroger points work at Shell, but Shell is priced $0.03-0.07 more than Kroger (Sunoco is usually the same price as Kroger).
I do have a Walmart with a gas station about to open near me, so that may be my #3 depending on price.

I really am not worried about Top Tier though, I just use Fuel cleaners every few thousands miles (I have a few years worth of Gumout All-in-One).

Dang, would it be so hard for all the vendors to put an official "TT" certification logo decal on their pumps? This would immediately eliminate all confusion at a glance. Its hard to access websites or refer to a list while driving!

Heck, a lot of them don't bother putting anything on their own website, let alone the pumps.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Dang, would it be so hard for all the vendors to put an official "TT" certification logo decal on their pumps? This would immediately eliminate all confusion at a glance. Its hard to access websites or refer to a list while driving!

I would occasionally get gas at a local Valero station. The manager slapped a Top Tier sticker on the wall behind the counter. This was well before Valero went with the program. From what I remember, Valero wasn't necessarily branding anything other than their stations. While they were and are a huge refiner, their fuel is standard commodity fuel, and back then they were upfront that their additive was minimum (or slight higher) EPA standard using whatever generic additive was available at the fuel depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back