Gas vs battery powered push mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking into a push mower. What kind should i consider getting for under 500 or so. My yard is about .25 of an acre.

My neighbor purchased a battery powered push mower from home depot 2 or three years ago and so and it still charges quickly and cuts well.

For that amount of space you can get a decent mower for a few hundred bucks. If you can afford it, Ive heard great things about Honda mowers, and self propelled can make things a bit easier too. Make sure to sharpen your blade regularly and change the oil and you are good to go.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I am looking into a push mower. What kind should i consider getting for under 500 or so. My yard is about .25 of an acre.

Wait until mowing season starts so you can buy and try it within the return period. Battery would be fine if it does the job.

My brother bought a battery snowblower. After the winter he wishes he had bought a 2 stage gas.

I prefer gas mower. I'm also partial to Honda. Take that as you will lol.

Only points I see a battery powered mower beneficial would be:

1) Don't a huge yard to mow.
2) Live in an area with a sound ordinance for things such as mowers.
3) Don't have room or place or want to store gas for a mower.

For .25 acre I would get at least a Self propelled push mower.

One thing to check into is how much the battery cost for a replacement. Do they give an estimated life span for the battery?. Figure after 10 years of ownership and mowing, how much will it have cost you, over a gas powered mower.,,,

.25acres is abit much for a battery powered. Certain times of year you would have to mow more than once a week.. or mow high then low.

You can get an excellent self propelled mower on craigslist for under $200.

I thought you were renting? Do they not provide a mower or take care of the lawn?

Maybe the 139$ special at home depot.. you might only need it for 1 year.

So I 'had' a B+D corded electric mower for more than 15 year; I have 1/3 acre (long and narrow) A very good mower as it was maintenance free and I just let is sit outside and just pulled the handle when I wanted to use it.

Takes a little training to get used to a corded mower; I have no interest in battery powered OPE. Great machine

I loaned it to someone and it was vandalized probably for the electric motor;

I have a craftsman now as it was given to me when my parents moved into a retirement place; I'd really rather have my electric one back.

Last edited:
Battery mowers usually have a small cut, but you may have larger blades in the US. I have an 18'' corded electric, it's great, and you learn about the cord, not really a problem after a while.

$159 cheap gas 20" mower is fine for my .22 acres. Takes about an hour. I do my neighbor's lawn as well, another .35 acres. Last one lasted me 5 seasons only changing the oil. Been buying these for 20 years and never once sharpened a blade. My current one has about 1-1/2 seasons so far. No self-propelled for me. They go forever as long as you keep the undercarriage clean (from rusting) and the carb from getting gummed up.

Living in Arizona, I have enough sunshine to charge an electric mower with solar panels. Alas, I no longer have a yard to mow anymore.
However, back in Houston, my neighbor had an electric mower and it did a fine job. I can't recall what brand it was but I'd say that electric mower technology has gotten to where an ordinary suburban lawn can easily be mowed by one. BTW, my neighbors mower was 6 years old or older and still working fine when we moved to Az, so they appear to hold up well too.

We use an electric lawn mower with a cord (no battery). The yard is about 50' X 35' and a cord about 75' long works well. The mower is lite weight and the because it is a corded unit there is no gas to mess with, and no battery to worry about going bad. You do have to be a little careful not to run over the cord, but when it gets in the way you just give it a toss and it wipps to another section of the yard where it is out of the way.

If I was going to buy a gas powered mower is there one better than another? Reliable without a lot of fuss .

The best battery mowers (about $500) compete with gas mowers now. But the batteries are good for 5 years at most. And, they are expensive to replace. For example, the 56V 7.5AH battery for the larger EGO mower is $385.

My Snapper mower lasted 20 years before the engine finally quit. $125 for a new engine and I am good for another 20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
We use an electric lawn mower with a cord (no battery). The yard is about 50' X 35' and a cord about 75' long works well. The mower is lite weight and the because it is a corded unit there is no gas to mess with, and no battery to worry about going bad. You do have to be a little careful not to run over the cord, but when it gets in the way you just give it a toss and it wipps to another section of the yard where it is out of the way.

This is what I use as well. My yard is very close to the same size. I've had the mower ten years and maintenance consists of sharpening the blade once a year and replacing the extension cord when it gets too beat up - I'm on my third. 100' 14 gauge cords are up to about $40. The mower is super quiet, has adequate power, and never fails to "start."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back