Windows 10 - Want classic view or ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually like many things about Win 10. My platform is super stable as I have a ton of resources.

What I don't like is no "classic view" or whatever it's called to NOT have the side by side mini-windows down in the bottom tray. I hate to hover then move right or left and the click again to select the window...........not like this all other versions I use.

Help. Ideas?

I have a bunch of systems from xp to linux. But.. I'm liking the win 10.. like the notifications, apps, etc. More like my phone.. I know thats not for everyone but I like it. Like a shiny new car, its modern. Just leave it alone for a while.. Maybe you will start liking it too.

Since the start menu came back, I really like windows 10 a lot.

I am a sys admin so managing the group policy on my users deployments has been a bit of a learning curve, but in the home it is fantastic.

I have been fighting with my powershell scripts that remove all the apps, as they are loaded on a per user basis (the modern apps), and most of them are games or ads anyways, and that looks bad in a corporate enviornment.

I get all the apps removed with a script, then MS releases an OS build that pushes more garbage to the user, and I need to fight it again.

www.classicshell.net

Its worked wonderfully for me and is exactly what you're looking for.

Makes it look like windows 7 and a few other options, while retaining all the features of windows 10.

Originally Posted By: volk06
www.classicshell.net

Its worked wonderfully for me and is exactly what you're looking for.

Makes it look like windows 7 and a few other options, while retaining all the features of windows 10.

Thanks, but doesn't do the trick. Messed around with that for 30 minutes. The task bar icons pop up as mini-windows still, not a list. I cannot see anything to configure this.

Quote:

What is not Classic Shell?
Some people have misconceptions about the scope of Classic Shell. Here's some of the things that it is not:

It is not an Explorer replacement. It adds some UI elements to Explorer, but this is still the standard Windows Explorer that you know and love
It does not implement the Desktop environment in Windows 8 (or 10). The Desktop you see in Windows 8 is part of the operating system that you can access from one of the Metro tiles. Classic Shell just makes it easier to get to it
It is not a "make my computer look exactly like Windows XP". It only brings back few select features from the XP days, not everything. You are not going to find the puppy search here
It is not a theme or skin for Windows. Classic Shell only changes some visual aspects of Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer. These features are very limited in scope. No other applications are affected

Just to follow up, I figured it out this week. It's all in Taskbar Thumbnail customization. There are only two ways known to customize this. One requires mucking around with the registry. Doable but a PITA.

Better is this - a ton of settings: http://winaero.com/

It also has some really nice features, plus it even sped my PC up by shutting some features and bloat off. I was using the 6 version for 4-5 days with zero issues, just started the 7 version, no problem so far and it's very stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back