File encryption software not U.S. based

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017...-browsing-data/

Quote:

senators yesterday introduced legislation that would overturn new privacy rules for Internet service providers. If the Federal Communications Commission rules are eliminated, ISPs would not have to get consumers' explicit consent before selling or sharing Web browsing data and other private information with advertisers and other third parties.

You like your ISP trolling your mail and sending targeted ads your way? I don't.

GPG is content encryption, not just transport.

Last edited:
Practically speaking, you need to encrypt your end as well as your recipient's end.

You also need to make sure the machine and OS you two are using are secured, as in, the govs can't break into (which is an unrealistic expectation). Even a key logger can capture your content before your software can encrypt it, as well as any sort of buffer overflow can capture your clipboard, your device driver, your OS, etc.

Then you have to deal with govs that can access super computer and the cloud to decode your message no matter how strong the encryption is. It will cost them to brute force, but if they believe you are selling out to the Martians, they will lease the entire cloud full of GPU to crack your encryption along with their super computer fleet.

Typically it is much cheaper to break into your house and point a gun at your head and ask for your password, and typically your content is not worth their trouble.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Typically it is much cheaper to break into your house and point a gun at your head and ask for your password, and typically your content is not worth their trouble.

security.png

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
I see this question frequently. I wonder what is in your attachments that you want to encrypt from western governments. Some pretty horrific thoughts come to mind.
Funny. I can't think of anything that I send that I want middle men reading.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Looking for good strong encryption program for email attachments.

I'm looking for a foreign company(EU is preferred), that hopefully has not surrendered master keys to Western governments.

They capture the message before it's encrypted so it doesn't matter what encryption software you use.

What if the attachment itself is encrypted (ie, Word or Excel spreadsheet).

Based on the leaks we have seen, the NSA captures the traffic through the internet and also content stored outside the PC. The CIA approach is revealed to also include a different approach -- they install malware on the device that captures content as it's generated, prior to encryption, like a key logger or buffer reader.

So, when they capture the encrypted attachment as it's emailed, they will either crack it, keep it as an encrypted file or transpose it with the unencrypted content captured through malware.

At this point I'm not sure how much of this "encryption" and "privacy" is an illusion and how much of it is real.

The article was never very well written, and I'm sure the journalist really didn't understand what he was writing in the first place. Of course, nothing is 100%, but the best bet is something open source, and there are best practices to encrypting stuff.

Of course, if you're hit with malware before you start, you're already sunk. But, the government isn't installing key loggers or cameras in the ceiling above the keyboard as a matter of general policy. The government has been flummoxed by proper encryption practices many times in the past. They've done the defeat with malware or hardware modification after they found out about the encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back