Why still so many alkaline batteries exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Cujet
NiMh batteries remain around 1.2 volts during the discharge cycle, and can have as much as 2850 mAH capacity.

Do you own any of these 2850 mAh batteries? How are they performing? What is the actual tested capacity?

Nope! I simply have the Costco flavor of Eneloop's. They work quite well in most things. But they are not quite as bright in some of my older LED flashlights. They do tend to hold a charge surprisingly well.

Why? Because it is not worth putting rechargeable on things that are not run on a regular basis, like smoke detectors, clock, remotes, emergency flash light, or disposable children's toy that is cheaper than rechargeable batteries.

Most heavy duty battery applications have long moved to Li based and custom batteries.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Why do people still buy these things?

Why do some people have nothing better to worry about?

Quote of the day..lol.

Seriously, I have used multiple rechargeable batteries. At least 3 different chargers and half dozen batteries including eneloop batteries. Life is just too short and alkalines are too cheap to screw around. Glad I don't have to worry about saving a couple bucks/month.

LOL...I recharge the alkalines a couple of times and then throw them out at ALDI collection centre.

When the Nicads in solar stuff go out, I replace them with alkalines and get another couple years out of them.

recharging alkaleaks ensures leakage will wreck that hard to replace item.
fun to experiment but only use them in items you can toss when the inevitable leak occurs.
i have nearly irreplaceable items that only get rechargeables.
i will NEVER use alkaleaks in my 118 year old eveready.
the antique
yes it still works fine.has a 3d printed adaptor in it with an 18650 too.
an every day useable antique.
and no i do not use the original carbon filiment bulb.it is in the safe.
i use a 3 cell xenon bike light bulb.
first comments usually are that we had no idea a 1899 flashlight was this good!
well they werent but this one had a little help!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back