Subaru - Don't use 6th gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Co-worker has a turbodiesel outback which is pretty new, and just failed the DPF.

Advice from Subaru is that using 6th, under 140km/h is a contributing factor, and to not use that gear...

DPFs are still being used? I had a buddy buy a new 2008 Ford F-250 diesel back in 2008 and the DPF "regeneration" cycle that it had to go through, raising idle RPM to burn off soot, absolutely destroyed any fuel economy advantage it had over a gas engine. He considered removing the DPF, but that could have been cause for a warranty claim denial, so he ended up selling it.

I think all the new diesels sold in the USA have the catalyst system using the urea fluid that you have to add every several thousand miles. Doesn't affect fuel economy.

Sounds about right. I contacted the head of Subaru USA about an issue and never received a response back. My note to him was professional and polite. Total waste of time trying to get a response.

When I contacted the head of Hyundai about an issue he couldn't have been any nicer. But their customer service agents weren't very good. Plus they kept my email address in the CC field so I could see what those dopes were saying about me.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Co-worker has a turbodiesel outback which is pretty new, and just failed the DPF.

Advice from Subaru is that using 6th, under 140km/h is a contributing factor, and to not use that gear...

Don't use 6th gear under 85 mph? The service person from Subaru sounds a bit spongy upstairs to me.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Sounds about right. I contacted the head of Subaru USA about an issue and never received a response back. My note to him was professional and polite. Total waste of time trying to get a response.

When I contacted the head of Hyundai about an issue he couldn't have been any nicer. But their customer service agents weren't very good. Plus they kept my email address in the CC field so I could see what those dopes were saying about me.

Hyundai/Kia are the new Toyota/Honda.

Doesn't Subaru state that one quart of oil consumption every 1500 miles is acceptable? I know I would have a hard time with that, especially on a newer vehicle.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Doesn't Subaru state that one quart of oil consumption every 1500 miles is acceptable? I know I would have a hard time with that, especially on a newer vehicle.

yep and toyota says 1 quart every 600 miles...

Originally Posted By: Shannow

That is pretty high on my list of "ludicrous things dealers have said"...

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
DPFs are still being used? I had a buddy buy a new 2008 Ford F-250 diesel back in 2008 and the DPF "regeneration" cycle that it had to go through, raising idle RPM to burn off soot, absolutely destroyed any fuel economy advantage it had over a gas engine. He considered removing the DPF, but that could have been cause for a warranty claim denial, so he ended up selling it.

I think all the new diesels sold in the USA have the catalyst system using the urea fluid that you have to add every several thousand miles. Doesn't affect fuel economy.

No...they have that, AND they have a DPF.

[/quote]

yep and toyota says 1 quart every 600 miles... [/quote]

My understanding is that Toyota will okay warranty work if the engine is going through more than one quart of oil every 1200 miles. Where did you get 600 miles?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Would that be Mad Cow disease?

No, my wife doesn't work for Subaru.

Thanks. I snorted my drink out my nose.

The guy in question is toolmaker by trade, project manager and manager in current employ, quite a technical type character.

Quizzed the service guy at length when he made the statement...responses below
* DPF has failed, and needs Subaru authority to replace.
* As Subaru sell globally, the needs include Autobahn (pretty sire the outback was named for some other place), and that's what 6th is there for.
* DPF needs engine speeed and load to regenerate, which is don't use 6th until 140km/h...which is 30 more than most anywhere in 6 of the 7 states/territories.

Car is stuck at 3,000RPM max until fixed, and lower power output via the computer trimming everything useful off. Blew an intercooler hose that they repaired, apparently unrelated.

Will keep everyone informed, and I'm sure it's a lame service excuse rather than subaru themselves, but in a corporate culture, these sorts of half truths don't spring from nowhere.

Doesn't Subaru state that one quart of oil consumption every 1500 miles is acceptable?

Nearly every manufacturer pulls that one out on an oil consumption claim. It must be some SAE study for it to be universally gosple.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

2 different things.

Yes DPFs are still in use and Urea does nothing for Soot. Urea lowers NOx, that the dpf does nothing for.

that dpf setup in the F-250 must be very poor. My car idles the same wether or not a regen is taking place, and it takes half a quart of fuel to regen, every 600 miles on average.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Doesn't Subaru state that one quart of oil consumption every 1500 miles is acceptable?

Nearly every manufacturer pulls that one out on an oil consumption claim. It must be some SAE study for it to be universally gosple.

I observed when working for a few different dealerships that the oil consumption number is based on a sliding scale. A smart service writer will ask the customer complaining about oil use how much oil the car is using, then base his consumption number on that. I heard oil use numbers range from 500 miles/quart to 1,000 miles/ quart as being normal. All based on what the customer told the service writer. Smarter customers got results, the not so smart left with an unfixed oil burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back