Beard Oil

When I got into aviation maintenance a few years ago, I'd shave every day, but it seemed that most of the guys I worked with had beards, so I decided to grow a full beard for the first time, really, in my life, other than just experimenting with not shaving when I was a teenager/early 20s. It also seems to be in style here in Nashville, and, perhaps, in other areas of the country, as well. One reason, I think, is the popularity of beards among special forces guys in the military who have been deployed to Afghanistan, where beards are a regional tradition, and beards help our guys blend in amongst the local population and not stick out like a sore thumb.

Anyway, I grew my beard out for a while a couple of years ago, but ended up trimming it after about 3 or 4 months. I wore a short beard for a while, and then ended up going back to shaving every day.

Fast-forward to this past December - I ended up deciding to grow my beard back out, and it's been going, now, for almost 4 months. Couple that with the fact that I'm growing my hair out, too (I've been accused of having Bieb hair), and I've started getting some funny comments. I've had a couple of guys at work jokingly tell me that I looked mean and that they were intimidated by my beard. Some of the guys have started calling me Chuck Norris, and a guy who left and went to work somewhere else and came back didn't even recognize me at first, even after looking right at me. When I went over to say hello at a hangar meeting, he said, "whoa, you're looking like Grizzly Adams!" Honestly I'd have to look Grizzly Adams up, as I don't know who he is.

Anyway, for a month or so now, I've been getting some dry, irritated skin on my chin, underneath my beard. I pulled the beard hair out of the way and the skin on my chin seems to be a bit red and irritated. It's not super bad or anything, but I never had anything like this when I was clean-shaven or had a shorter beard.

Not really sure what was causing it, I started looking online for some kind of moisturizer, and I found that there is literally an entire cottage industry for what is called beard oil. There are websites, YouTube videos, etc. on this subject. It turns out that shampoo, which I was using to wash my beard every time I took a shower, daily, or sometimes twice daily, is the likely culprit, in combination with the cold, dry winter weather. I've learned that even though the shampoo I've been using is a 2-in-1 (shampoo and conditioner) product, and does just fine in conditioning my hair, it is too harsh for facial skin, since it has detergents that are designed to clean the scalp, which is much oilier than facial skin. As a result, it's drying the skin on my chin under my beard.

Anyway, in looking around, I found a website that sells what seem like some good beard oils that contain jojoba oil, argan oil, coconut oil, castor oil, etc. A few drops of this oil, combed through the beard, is claimed to solve the problem of dry skin under the beard. It also helps condition the beard hair and adds some shine and prevents the wild hairs from being as wild. And they're formulated with essential oils for scent (there are multiple scents including cedar, citrus and tobacco).

I ordered a couple of bottles of his oil, and a good quality comb. I went with one bottle of the Wildwood and one of the Orient Express, so, we'll see how it does.

Here's the website:

www.thebeardbaron.com

And the guy who started the company has a YouTube channel (that's actually how I found out about it) that has a lot of great (and funny) videos on beard care, etc:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thebeardbaron

Anybody else used beard oil? If so, do you have a brand/scent you like?

Interesting hope it works.

I am 71 and looking at older guys a beard makes them look older. I manage to hang out with both guys and gals..that I know pretty well. At least two of them told me how good I look compared to other old f*rts. I shave immaculately and am always well groomed. Makes a huge difference..lol.

I have a full beard that's about 12". I use anti-dandruff shampoo which seems to seriously help with irritation and flakey skin, which I only have issues with if it's longer. You should definitely not be using face wash on it, which most people do. Treat it like head hair.

Give it a good brush everyday to help keep it from knotting, and work out dead skin.

The only beard oil I've ever used came from a now defunct oil company a friend started. It has this musky woody scent that I just liked from the first go. Not quite patchouli, but definitely a little hippy.

Last edited:
If I go ahead and shave my head then I'll consider growing a beard. That way I have some hair on the head and it's a nice contrast.

Originally Posted By: Al
Interesting hope it works.

I am 71 and looking at older guys a beard makes them look older. I manage to hang out with both guys and gals..that I know pretty well. At least two of them told me how good I look compared to other old f*rts. I shave immaculately and am always well groomed. Makes a huge difference..lol.

Originally Posted By: RichardS
Al is right, it will age you. I turned 30 in January, but can easily get pegged in my early 40s with all the white beard hairs.

Y'all are right - a beard can make you look older. But I'm not that old yet (37) and I'm a distance runner, so I'm in good physical shape, and I don't have any hair loss, so, I don't feel that it ages me that much. I do have a few gray/white hairs on my chin, but my hair and beard are sort of dark blond/reddish, and,there are only maybe 5 or 6. So, they don't stick out much.

I figure since I've never grown a good, full-sized beard (6 months+ of growth), I'm relatively young, and I'm in a job where it's acceptable, why not.

I am single right now and looking to date, so that's the only thing that could maybe be affected by it. I know there are women who hate beards. But, the other side of the coin is that there are many women who love beards. I've dated a few who have told me that, and wanted me to grow mine out. So, whatever. We'll see how I do.
smile.gif

No comment on beard treatments due to no involvement.

One thing about beards I think every man should ACCEPT.

Beards are like berets (as in hat), they look great on some men and DO NOT on others.

It can be that simple. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
they look great on some men and DO NOT on others.

Pardon me for asking but are you a Guy or a Lady?

You're skin produces oil to protect it and help it do its job.

When you wash it, you remove your natural oil and then will need to replace it with chemical filled "moisturizers" or some hipster beard oil.

I don't have a beard but I haven't washed my face with soap in years. (Unless I get it greasy working on the car) In the winter I sometimes use coconut oil on areas that get dry.

Try skipping the soap.

No comment on beard treatments due to no involvement.

One thing about beards I think every man should ACCEPT.

Beards are like berets (as in hat), they look great on some men and DO NOT on others.

The way you put ACCEPT in all caps makes it sound like you think you're a good judge of whether a beard looks good on a particular man.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
You're skin produces oil to protect it and help it do its job.

When you wash it, you remove your natural oil and then will need to replace it with chemical filled "moisturizers" or some hipster beard oil.

I don't have a beard but I haven't washed my face with soap in years. (Unless I get it greasy working on the car) In the winter I sometimes use coconut oil on areas that get dry.

Try skipping the soap.

No argument there - beard oil is definitely "hipster"! No skinny jeans, fedora or thick black-rimmed glasses here, but I will say the stuff sounds like it smells amazing, and the oils are all-natural. Plus, when you go to the reviews, I'd say half the comments are from women talking about how incredible their significant others' beards smell after using the beard oil! So I think I can get onboard with it!

PM sent to Satin Silver

One more thing about beards:

DO NOT sport hairs around your mouth after they become grey and scraggily from being bleached by food drippings or yellowed by tobacco.

That is absolutely disgusting and completely unacceptable. Kira

Branch Ricky (the man who GMed the Dodgers and brought Jackie Robinson to the big leagues) said, "A lie is never an inappropriate answer to someone who never should've asked the question in the first place".

Similarly, Lying or anything else to dispatch a some filthy creep who'd come up to you with gross mouth hair is always OK to do. They have no right to be that vile. Beards indeed can be that revolting.

PM sent to Satin Silver

One more thing about beards:

DO NOT sport hairs around your mouth after they become grey and scraggily from being bleached by food drippings or yellowed by tobacco.

That is absolutely disgusting and completely unacceptable. Kira

Branch Ricky (the man who GMed the Dodgers and brought Jackie Robinson to the big leagues) said, "A lie is never an inappropriate answer to someone who never should've asked the question in the first place".

Similarly, Lying or anything else to dispatch a some filthy creep who'd come up to you with gross mouth hair is always OK to do. They have no right to be that vile. Beards indeed can be that revolting.

I like that quote.

Been sporting a full beard for several years now; can't tell you the last time I used my razor. After a certain length you will notice the hairs getting dry and damaged, or even unmanageable. Not to mention it can smell "off." Look up a company called Honest Amish, they have a complete line of beard care that should suit your needs. From oils to waxes, it all depends on your beard type. I personally have to use a wax product because my facial hair get unmanageable. Wouldn't hurt to buy small quantities of different products to see what fits you.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
When I got into aviation maintenance a few years ago, I'd shave every day, but it seemed that most of the guys I worked with had beards, so I decided to grow a full beard for the first time, really, in my life, other than just experimenting with not shaving when I was a teenager/early 20s. It also seems to be in style here in Nashville, and, perhaps, in other areas of the country, as well. One reason, I think, is the popularity of beards among special forces guys in the military who have been deployed to Afghanistan, where beards are a regional tradition, and beards help our guys blend in amongst the local population and not stick out like a sore thumb.

Anyway, I grew my beard out for a while a couple of years ago, but ended up trimming it after about 3 or 4 months. I wore a short beard for a while, and then ended up going back to shaving every day.

Fast-forward to this past December - I ended up deciding to grow my beard back out, and it's been going, now, for almost 4 months. Couple that with the fact that I'm growing my hair out, too (I've been accused of having Bieb hair), and I've started getting some funny comments. I've had a couple of guys at work jokingly tell me that I looked mean and that they were intimidated by my beard. Some of the guys have started calling me Chuck Norris, and a guy who left and went to work somewhere else and came back didn't even recognize me at first, even after looking right at me. When I went over to say hello at a hangar meeting, he said, "whoa, you're looking like Grizzly Adams!" Honestly I'd have to look Grizzly Adams up, as I don't know who he is.

Anyway, for a month or so now, I've been getting some dry, irritated skin on my chin, underneath my beard. I pulled the beard hair out of the way and the skin on my chin seems to be a bit red and irritated. It's not super bad or anything, but I never had anything like this when I was clean-shaven or had a shorter beard.

Not really sure what was causing it, I started looking online for some kind of moisturizer, and I found that there is literally an entire cottage industry for what is called beard oil. There are websites, YouTube videos, etc. on this subject. It turns out that shampoo, which I was using to wash my beard every time I took a shower, daily, or sometimes twice daily, is the likely culprit, in combination with the cold, dry winter weather. I've learned that even though the shampoo I've been using is a 2-in-1 (shampoo and conditioner) product, and does just fine in conditioning my hair, it is too harsh for facial skin, since it has detergents that are designed to clean the scalp, which is much oilier than facial skin. As a result, it's drying the skin on my chin under my beard.

Anyway, in looking around, I found a website that sells what seem like some good beard oils that contain jojoba oil, argan oil, coconut oil, castor oil, etc. A few drops of this oil, combed through the beard, is claimed to solve the problem of dry skin under the beard. It also helps condition the beard hair and adds some shine and prevents the wild hairs from being as wild. And they're formulated with essential oils for scent (there are multiple scents including cedar, citrus and tobacco).

I ordered a couple of bottles of his oil, and a good quality comb. I went with one bottle of the Wildwood and one of the Orient Express, so, we'll see how it does.

Here's the website:

www.thebeardbaron.com

And the guy who started the company has a YouTube channel (that's actually how I found out about it) that has a lot of great (and funny) videos on beard care, etc:

Maybe you can get some in Jet A.

Im 33 and cant grow a beard to save my life. Sure I get hair, but it aint much. A wise man once told me "never cultivate on your face what grows wild on your arse". i guess thats why i got so into shaving. I use a straight now although I am not all that great using it.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Here's the website:

www.thebeardbaron.com

Maybe you can get some in Jet A.

Hel, I already smell like Jet A most of the time anyway!

I have had a beard steady since 1980 not because it makes me look like a stud muffin chick magnet but I hate shaving.

Back