rotella no longer SM???

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure if this has been covered. Just saw the new jugs marked ck...I noticed they are no longer marked SM. I wonder why they let that slide? The new DELO 5w40 is marked CK and SN.

I like to use rotella in a lot of my OPE and in my generator and other air cooled engines. Why the move away from S rated oils i wonder?

I was just at WM and noticed the same thing and I did not see SM on a new jug of Chevron Delo XLE 10w30 that I like to run in my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder VQ40DE V6 in the summer. Wonder if I can still use it?

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
not sure if this has been covered. Just saw the new jugs marked ck...I noticed they are no longer marked SM. I wonder why they let that slide? The new DELO 5w40 is marked CK and SN.

I like to use rotella in a lot of my OPE and in my generator and other air cooled engines. Why the move away from S rated oils i wonder?

Which grade were you looking at? If it's an ILSAC grade (ie 10W30) then it falls into the phos requirements which were previously waved. That waiver has been removed for all the S categories so if you are over 800ppm of phos, you can no longer claim an S category on 5W30, 10W30 etc.

What is interesting to me is that on their website for their new CK-4 they claim it meets SN standards. Not sure why they don't mark it as such then. From their website:

"Introducing an engine oil that performs extremely well in diesel and gasoline engines, meeting API CK-4 and SN performance standards."

That way, they don't have to worry about phosphorus content for certain grades, nor give Ford the willies at the same time.

Originally Posted By: Garak

That way, they don't have to worry about phosphorus content for certain grades, nor give Ford the willies at the same time.

Can you expand on this or point me to where I can read about this?
I just looked at an article that mentioned SM ratings and the level of Phosphorus but it said "..., the limit only applies to 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils (so called “ILSAC” grades)."

So on the surface it would seem the the Rotella 5W-40 would be exempt from this issue. If this was true, I would think the 5W-40 could still carry the SM rating.

[Note: i edited this after I read some information about the SM rating.]
Thanks
-A

Last edited:

I was looking at 5w40 sorry. Im sure its still safe...i just wonder why they don't give it any S approval any more.

A CJ4 xW40 or xW50 oils exceeding Phosphorous limit of 800 ppm and 500/600 ppm of Sulfur used to be allowed to claim SN/SM as well, and hence dual rated HDEO.
I would speculate the rule has changed for CK4 HDEOs.
Shell Rotella T6 CK4 5W40 (not CK4 Multi Vehicle 5W30) has breached the above phosphorous/sulfur limits , hence no claim for SN/SM is allowed.
However Delo CK4 5W40 is allowed to claim SN dual rated for compliance of stated Phosphorous/sulfur limits.
In a gasoline engine calling for SN/SM classification, if one has no issue adopting a dual rated CJ4/SN(M) oil , then a CK4 oil without SN/SM rating should get similar adoption, in my humble view.

I've never understood the fascination with "Rotella." Perhaps the name?

Delvac is my favorite HDEO. As far as I remember, even Rotella acknowledged on their Web site that Delvac is a better oil when they compared it to their economy grade (T3 I think, not T Triple Protection).

Amsoil test:

hddgraph_lrg.jpg

The fascination is that it's ready available (Delvac 1 maybe...), and it's cheaper with very nearly the same performance.

And your chart mostly shows Group III dino oils and Delvac 1. If that's all Delvac can muster, it's got a ways to go
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
I've never understood the fascination with "Rotella." Perhaps the name?

Delvac is my favorite HDEO. As far as I remember, even Rotella acknowledged on their Web site that Delvac is a better oil when they compared it to their economy grade (T3 I think, not T Triple Protection).

Amsoil test:

You do know better than to quote that test as anything more than marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back