Would You Plug This Tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The screw is closer to the sidewall than it seems in the photo--it's less than an inch from the edge of the tread. My options are 1) Plug it and keep on going or 2) Take it to a tire shop, where they'll say the puncture is too close to the sidewall to repair, and have them replace the Dunlop with a Kelly tire that I bought last time this happened. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Why not a patch? I thought those babies were superior.

They are... Would never use a plug personally.

We had a similar puncture on the right front of our '12 Accord.
At the time it had less than 30K on it and I hated to discard a tire only halfway through its life, so I had a local mom and pop shop shoot a plug in it telling them we'd see what happened.
A few K later, it was leaking at a moderate rate so I went ahead and bought a new tire.
Unsuccessful plug repairs typically result in a slow leak and not a blowout in my personal experience.
Probably worth a try but don't get your hopes up too much.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Unsuccessful plug repairs typically result in a slow leak and not a blowout in my personal experience.

I had a plug repair, that I did myself that developed a slow leak. Jammed another plug in next to the leaker. Fine two years later.

I would patch it not plug. I did repair numbers of the same punctured tires for customers and for myself with a great susses when i worked @ gas station.

What car is it on?

Looks too close to acceptably plug.

of course some people would plug a sidewall hole and say its fine.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think the guideline is if its in the line of tread closest to outside (which it is) then you discard the tire or use a spare.

But if it was an inch to the left it would still be on that outer block but would be fixable?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: Donald
I think the guideline is if its in the line of tread closest to outside (which it is) then you discard the tire or use a spare.

But if it was an inch to the left it would still be on that outer block but would be fixable?

It depends but basically they dont want it outside or on the edge of the steel belted area.

Also they only recommend a patch-plug..and those dont work unless they are sealing to the flat part of the tire.. so it can only be so close to the sidewall and work.

Pull through plug patch. Rough the inside, good glue surface, pull the needle/stem through. Roll the patch. In off road situations this happens all the time from running low pressure and sharp rocks, hard sticks, etc. Plug-patches work. Some have been on the highway for years afterwards.

Do you have a real spare? If so, plug-patch and you are good. If not, maybe not ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Pull through plug patch. Rough the inside, good glue surface, pull the needle/stem through. Roll the patch.

I would do the same but tire shops are reluctant to patch close to sidewall tread punctures. So what I did was bring the tire to an offroad shop to dismount the tire, patch it myself and bring it back to the shop and have them remount the tire.

The chain shops won't do it, but a mom and pop might. I'd just get a new tire. But if you insist on patching it, just stick it on the rear, probably less stress on the sidewall as it doesn't flex as much as the front when making turns. But probably harder to control the car if you get a blow out. But as others said, it will probably just go flat and not blow out.

Free flat repair at DT and many Goodyear shops. I'm guessing they will take care of it but only one way to find out for sure, take it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back