VW and Fiat Merger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might actually improve FCA's reliability. But I don't know what VW gets - outside of the exotics, as others have said, if Dodge, Chrysler, Ram, and Jeep stopped making vehicles tomorrow few would notice or care. You don't get bailed out twice by making great vehicles.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
VW has never figured out how make an appealing product to US masses unfortunately, ever.

The Beetle certainly was, the Type 2 as well in certain parts of the country.

Recently, it's probably because your average U.S. consumer is about as smart as a suitcase with no handle when it comes to cars, and prefers to flock to Honda and Toyota dealers instead, because that's what the neighbor's buying.

Of course, there's the other side of it as well - most individuals who claim "VW's are too hard to work on" or "VW parts are too expensive" never turned a wrench on a VW.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Sergio is running a car company that could disappear and hardly anybody would notice, but for fans of Jeep, the Hemi, and diesel Rams. Bringing Alfa Romeo back to the US will only get a few more sales to a small, small niche. Nobody wants to buy a Fiat branded car in the US. They have already thrown in the towel on small and medium passenger cars in the US by stopping production on the Dart and 200, which were good cars. The problem is, there is worldwide overcapacity in the auto industry, and the small players must team up or close down.

OK, Cali is not the US, but have you actually looked at how many new Fiat 500's are running around? Not as many as Mini's, but still a very respectable number. Both outsell Hemi-Chargers out here ... RAM trucks, meah - more Chevies get sold here and way more Fords.

I suspect the Alfa will do well too
smile.gif

I've had air-cooled VW's, a Scirocco, and a Jetta. They were all fun. Not as quick or evil as my last Audi, but still nice cars. I'd buy another VW if they made what I wanted (a 400HP all wheel drive Scirocco)
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
VW has never figured out how make an appealing product to US masses unfortunately, ever.

The Beetle certainly was, the Type 2 as well in certain parts of the country.

Recently, it's probably because your average U.S. consumer is about as smart as a suitcase with no handle when it comes to cars, and prefers to flock to Honda and Toyota dealers instead, because that's what the neighbor's buying.

Of course, there's the other side of it as well - most individuals who claim "VW's are too hard to work on" or "VW parts are too expensive" never turned a wrench on a VW.

Toyota is in the TOP 8 for reliability....that's why people buy them.

I can hardly wait for the Ram products to glean the fruits of this. Cant wait for a hemi powered truck to use timing belts, require a very expensive engine oil and a pile of over engineering.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I can't think of two more deserving (of each other) partners.

the best comment, thank you

Well, a small up-dated unibody FWD diesel pickup would be a welcome sight. From VW or some other manufacturer. I understand that GM is bringing back the El Camino. But it looks like it will be a gussied up SS version. I like affordable utility vehicles for the masses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Both brands are equally successful at producing vehicles that United States could care less about.

You are entitled to your own opinion. VW does have a following in the US, I can't say the same about Fiat. I hope this isn't true, and doubt it is as VW is currently the worlds largest auto maker.

Fact, look at US auto sales numbers....VW has never figured out how make an appealing product to US masses unfortunately, ever.

Every maker has a following....

VW was the largest selling import brand way back when. Everyone loved the Beetle and hundreds of thousands were sold her.
Nobody bought Japanese cars although they were cheaper.

That was not what happened where my father lived. He lived in Texas during the 1970s.

The VW beetle was being outsold by Japanese cars because their air cooled engines had major limitations compared to water cooled ones. He observed the rise in sales of Toyota and Datsun because people wanted more power and less noise, and liquid cooled engines made that possible.

By the time VW brought the Golf/Rabbit to the USA, there were already many happy owners of Toyotas and Datsuns.

Another thing that hurt VW was the Vanagon. They made a liquid cooled engine with many parts shared with their air cooled engines, and they were an enormous problem. For a short time, they had a reliable diesel engine as an option, but driving something as heavy as a Vanagon with a tiny NA diesel was not something people wanted to drive. I have to wonder if the Vanagon made people nervous about buying a Eurovan.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Both brands are equally successful at producing vehicles that United States could care less about.

You are entitled to your own opinion. VW does have a following in the US, I can't say the same about Fiat. I hope this isn't true, and doubt it is as VW is currently the worlds largest auto maker.

Fact, look at US auto sales numbers....VW has never figured out how make an appealing product to US masses unfortunately, ever.

Every maker has a following....

I'm far from a VW fanboi but these statements about VW sucking in the U.S. are silly, they've sold a lot of cars here...

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The Axis powers are back!!

Except these ones sort of despise each other, only marginally less so in WWII...

Originally Posted By: CKN

Well when you use the same powertrains for 50 years you should be reliable...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: CKN

Well when you use the same powertrains for 50 years you should be reliable...
smile.gif

Which proves the point people could care less about what "power train" is in which vehicle. The main concern for most is reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back