K20 belt tensioner, idler pulley, serpentine belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the humming noise, I used a long screwdriver to listen in on different areas and it sounds like noise is coming from the tensioner.

I got quotes of $150 for tensioner, $60 for belt and $60 for idler pulley, all oem.

I see rockauto.com is selling a kit from Dayco for 103 plus shipping which comprises of all 3 components listed above.

Any comments as to whether to spend double for oem parts? Is there that significant difference? Planning to drive maybe another 60-80k km, currently has 250k.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I was reading some reviews on those parts for Hondas and some reviews said the dayco was an oem part and others said that it used sae not metric bolts, so it might be worth a gamble to save some money, usually if they're bad you'll know before the return policy is up, especially if you buy on Amazon

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I was reading some reviews on those parts for Hondas and some reviews said the dayco was an oem part and others said that it used sae not metric bolts, so it might be worth a gamble to save some money, usually if they're bad you'll know before the return policy is up, especially if you buy on Amazon

Thanks, but it's going to be harder for me to return as I have to ship it back across border.
I was planning to just have mechanic quickly put them in for me with the money saved.

Dayco tensioners uses a non OEM style spring in their Honda application tensioner which some say holds tension when new but once some wear occurs, the tension falls off dramatically. Goodyear, now Continental, and Gates use a coil spring which is similar to OEM. I recently purchased a Gates serpentine tensioner. It's nice and quiet but the bearing is made in China. I don't know how long it will last. For a belt I'd say Gates all the way. The Continental belt is segmented and drys out fairly fast. I've used them in numerous applications and they develop cracks, in my opinion, sooner than Gates belts. Dayco belts seem to have more noise complaints than Gates.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
If you can get a Goodyear or Gates belt in a kit, I'd say good to go.

I would like to go with Gates kit too, but Rockauto only has Dayco.

By the sounds of it, I might not be able to save money on parts.

Originally Posted By: Trav
K20, are they all the same 2001-2011 in every model? The crystal ball is a little fogged over this morning.

Rockauto says the tensioner works with 02-14 CR-V so I assume almost all K20s uses the same tensioner.
I've had tensioner replaced before by dealership before and the unit they used is by Litens which from my research seems to be the OE manufacturer.

Dayco's description for the tensioner:
No Slack automatic belt tensioners from Dayco are perfect replacements for your worn-out, lazy tensioner. Belt squeal, improper tracking, or an accessory that has stopped working completely can be resolved with Dayco No Slack tensioners, featuring "flat spring" technology. This design allows for an increase in torque to be transmitted to the belt when needed, compensating for stretch and wear and maintaining constant tension throughout the life of your belt. Made in the USA, these tensioners are built with tough, long-lasting cast aluminum housings and arms, steel locator pins, and arm plates, and are engineered resins to outperform and outlast OEM parts. Take up the slack with Dayco No Slack automatic belt tensioners.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Dayco tensioners uses a non OEM style spring in their Honda application tensioner which some say holds tension when new but once some wear occurs, the tension falls off dramatically. Goodyear, now Continental, and Gates use a coil spring which is similar to OEM. I recently purchased a Gates serpentine tensioner. It's nice and quiet but the bearing is made in China. I don't know how long it will last. For a belt I'd say Gates all the way. The Continental belt is segmented and drys out fairly fast. I've used them in numerous applications and they develop cracks, in my opinion, sooner than Gates belts. Dayco belts seem to have more noise complaints than Gates.

Sounds like good advice. It is near impossible to get bearings NOT made in China these days. Same for big capacitors in electronics.

Originally Posted By: wing0
Originally Posted By: Trav
K20, are they all the same 2001-2011 in every model? The crystal ball is a little fogged over this morning.

Rockauto says the tensioner works with 02-14 CR-V so I assume almost all K20s uses the same tensioner.
I've had tensioner replaced before by dealership before and the unit they used is by Litens which from my research seems to be the OE manufacturer.

Dayco's description for the tensioner:
No Slack automatic belt tensioners from Dayco are perfect replacements for your worn-out, lazy tensioner. Belt squeal, improper tracking, or an accessory that has stopped working completely can be resolved with Dayco No Slack tensioners, featuring "flat spring" technology. This design allows for an increase in torque to be transmitted to the belt when needed, compensating for stretch and wear and maintaining constant tension throughout the life of your belt. Made in the USA, these tensioners are built with tough, long-lasting cast aluminum housings and arms, steel locator pins, and arm plates, and are engineered resins to outperform and outlast OEM parts. Take up the slack with Dayco No Slack automatic belt tensioners.

The only problem with that is the 02-14 CR-V sold in the USA uses a K24 the K20 used in other 02 models uses a different tensioner. Nothing like make, year, model and engine, even if its not a US or NA model we can find the OE part# and match from that.
I wanted to get the OE part # and compare it when I am at the dealer and other parts houses today but sorry getting info for this is like pulling teeth. I suggest buying from the dealer and be done with it. If its a 03 and up CR-V (K24) there is this to consider before buying..

Quote:
Please send your 17 digit VIN before purchase for CRV models.

The CRV uses 2 different tensioners and they are not interchangeable

Originally Posted By: Kool1

This has been our experience with Gates and Dayco belts. My brother bought a 97 Civic in 2006. Around 2009 or 2010, he had the Honda dealer put new belts on. I looked at them, and they are made by Gates. They have been good belts.

We have a 2001 Isuzu Trooper, and around 2008 or 2009, we replaced the belt. We used a CARQUEST belt, which I believe was a Gates belt. It has been great, nice and quiet. It is as quiet now as when we first put it on.

Our dad has a 2006 Tundra, we replaced the belt in June 2015 because it was squealing. It was a Dayco belt. Got a new belt from the Toyota dealer, which was a Dayco as well. Just the other day, he started up his truck, and I heard it squealing again. Not as bad as before, but, it was there a little bit. The squealing went away once it was warmed up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back