2014 Dodge Durango 3.6L oil cooler leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wayne. . . take a dowel or similar object and stick it down past the base of the oil filter mount and see if there's oil sitting in the valley. If there is, you have the cracked oil filter housing and it will need replaced.

Originally Posted By: Robster
Wayne. . . take a dowel or similar object and stick it down past the base of the oil filter mount and see if there's oil sitting in the valley. If there is, you have the cracked oil filter housing and it will need replaced.

There is a lot of oil sitting in the valley, so much that I can see it pooled under the oil filter.

Your symptoms are spot on for the oil cooler/filter housing issue. It is a known problem, 2014's seem to be more prone for some reason. They made changes to the part, call Chrysler customer care, odds are they'll make good if it is out of warranty.

If you do it yourself there are a lot of how to videos. I would change the spark plugs too because the intake manifold has to come off to change the plugs on the left bank of the engine.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Not a hard repair. It looks intimidating since the upper and lower intake has to come off but once you get going it's easy enough..

I may have some pictures of one I did in a Jeep if you want something to reference.

Pictures would be great!

I called the dealer here in Naperville where I bought the Durango. They said if the oil filter housing is leaking it will be covered under warranty, if it's the oil cooler that's leaking it will not be covered and will cost $550 to fix. The Durango goes in Wednesday so I'll let you know what they find.

The irony is that they are part of the same assembly.

Q3PNLqK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wayne- I thought I had a series of pictures for that job- turns out I only have one. Sorry!

Ps57aXp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: wwillson
I called the dealer here in Naperville where I bought the Durango. They said if the oil filter housing is leaking it will be covered under warranty, if it's the oil cooler that's leaking it will not be covered and will cost $550 to fix. The Durango goes in Wednesday so I'll let you know what they find.

Call Chrysler care and state your case to them. There are a lot of people who had the same problem as you with 2014's and were covered for the oil cooler as well as the filter housing since it is one unit. They called Chrysler care and got the approval from them before going to the dealer. Chrysler is well aware of the problem and the bad part, there were revisions to the part as a result.

As Trav and demar have stated, I would call corporate today or tomorrow and open a case number. That way the dealer won't try to stick you with that $550 bill. I did this myself with a Honda dealer that I was on excellent terms with. They were fine about it, in fact the service mgr mentioned how nasty the Honda rep was. Which I kind of agreed with but didn't hold it against her since she was working with me on the repair.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

As Trav and demar have stated, I would call corporate today or tomorrow and open a case number. That way the dealer won't try to stick you with that $550 bill. I did this myself with a Honda dealer that I was on excellent terms with. They were fine about it, in fact the service mgr mentioned how nasty the Honda rep was. Which I kind of agreed with but didn't hold it against her since she was working with me on the repair.

I have a nephew who went through this with his Durango, he was all set to pony up the cash. I told him the problem was well documented and to get Chrysler care involved. I asked him yesterday how he made out, this thread reminded me. Long story short he's buying me some beer. LOL I saved him quite a bit of cash by giving him the heads up. Dealers make more money getting paid from a customer than from Chrysler corporate, so they will try to get paid from the customer, then double dip if they can get away with it.

Any update?

I took the Durango to the dealer this morning and the job was done this afternoon. It turned out to be the oil filter housing was leaking, so there was no cost to me for replacement. I did have them replace the spark plugs, since the plenum was off. To my surprise, it cost $172 to replace the spark plugs!!!! $72 for six spark plugs and $100 for labor - ouch.

They did offer to change my differential and transfer case fluid for $468!! No thanks, done twice already.

Last edited:
$12 a piece for plugs?? Are they long life iridium?? NGK or Denso?? The Denso long life iridium plugs are $16.50 a piece for my car. The Denso plugs were $12.50 a piece 3 yrs ago. Obviously gone up $4 more now. The NGK long life iridium are $20 a piece if I went with them. The days of $2-5 plugs are long gone aren't they ??
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hemitruck
you have a 5 year 100000 mile drive train warranty. are you sure the leak isn't coming from the filter housing ? it was a known issue.

Yes, I'm sure, the filter housing is completely dry.

??????

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
you have a 5 year 100000 mile drive train warranty. are you sure the leak isn't coming from the filter housing ? it was a known issue.

??????

The part of the oil filter housing where the cap spin onto the body was dry, however you can't see the lower housing where it connects to the oil cooler. There is a good picture earlier in this thread.

I took the Durango to the dealer this morning and the job was done this afternoon. It turned out to be the oil filter housing was leaking, so there was no cost to me for replacement. I did have them replace the spark plugs, since the plenum was off. To my surprise, it cost $172 to replace the spark plugs!!!! $72 for six spark plugs and $100 for labor - ouch.

They did offer to change my differential and transfer case fluid for $468!! No thanks, done twice already.

That stings a bit since changing the plugs once the plenum was off is probably about a half an hour of work. To be honest at that point I would have had them do the plugs too, now you have 100K miles before you have to think about changing them again.

I noticed the prices they charge for servicing the transfer case and differentials to be ridiculous here too. I was offered a "synthetic oil change" for $99.99 give or take, when I took my Wrangler in for an airbag wire re-route recall. I gave them the same no thanks!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I was offered a "synthetic oil change" for $99.99 give or take, when I took my Wrangler in for an airbag wire re-route recall. I gave them the same no thanks!

I took the Matrix in for the airbag recall which was also due for an oil change. Stopped at WM for a Fram TG and a jug of Maxlife full synthetic and asked them to change the oil. Gave them a coupon as well. So after he discounting off the filter, oil and coupon the total charge was $7.96.

Oil was on rollback for $18 - $10 rebate + $6 filter + $8 labor = $22 total. They charge $60 for a full syn oil change.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I was offered a "synthetic oil change" for $99.99 give or take, when I took my Wrangler in for an airbag wire re-route recall. I gave them the same no thanks!

I took the Matrix in for the airbag recall which was also due for an oil change. Stopped at WM for a Fram TG and a jug of Maxlife full synthetic and asked them to change the oil. Gave them a coupon as well. So after he discounting off the filter, oil and coupon the total charge was $7.96.

Oil was on rollback for $18 - $10 rebate + $6 filter + $8 labor = $22 total. They charge $60 for a full syn oil change.

Not bad. My oil was changed about 500 miles before I took it in for the recall. The service writer was doing his job trying to sell me an oil change. I can't fault him for trying. All in all I was happy with the job they did, but they won't be doing any oil changes for me, only warranty work, and recalls..... I have a feeling I'll be getting a notice for an airbag replacement recall at some point. I'm not happy about that.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

??????

The part of the oil filter housing where the cap spin onto the body was dry, however you can't see the lower housing where it connects to the oil cooler. There is a good picture earlier in this thread.

But you said you were sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back