Rotted 2003 Taurus cat heat shield - remove?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son's 03 Taurus cat heat shield is rotted and rattling on top of the exhaust. Does it really need to be replaced, or can I just remove it?

I had this problem on a Windstar. I wrapped a wire hanger around the exhaust and heat shield.

I have seen a lot of vehicles run without them but personally I wouldn't, there is a minor risk of undercoating catching fire especially in the hotter months.
If you don't want to put a new one on it and want to do a hack then put a pebble between the converter and shield then use stainless zip ties to secure it, use pliers to pull them tight.
The pebble will prevent or stop a heat shield rattle and last almost forever. HF has cheap SS zip ties, just put a few together to get the correct length.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-stainless-steel-cable-ties-25-pk-69413.html

Or just get a large-diameter hose clamp at the hardware store, that worked for me in the past. I got the all stainless steel variety and it lasted as long as the car did.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I have seen a lot of vehicles run without them but personally I wouldn't, there is a minor risk of undercoating catching fire especially in the hotter months.
If you don't want to put a new one on it and want to do a hack then put a pebble between the converter and shield then use stainless zip ties to secure it, use pliers to pull them tight.
The pebble will prevent or stop a heat shield rattle and last almost forever. HF has cheap SS zip ties, just put a few together to get the correct length.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-stainless-steel-cable-ties-25-pk-69413.html

Hey thats awesome, thanks. I went to the HF in Amherst for the first time last week. Its incredible. Stuff so cheap you wonder if its real. Like a grinder for $30. 1/2" torque wrench I was borrowing from the neighbor for lugs - $20!!! I had to get dragged out of there. Its like a candy store.

Is this a shield attached to the pipe?

Is there a shield above it attached to the body?

I had one that was partly attached to the pipe and rattled like crazy, a wire coat hanger twisted up with pliers fixed it for a while until the other end rusted away then it went in the trash. The shield attached to the body is still there.

If they attach to the body some self tapping screws usually solve that problem. Get yourself a couple inch square of "tin" and drill through that and the remnant of the shield to tack it back up.

If part of the exhaust, the hose clamp idea.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Or just get a large-diameter hose clamp at the hardware store, that worked for me in the past. I got the all stainless steel variety and it lasted as long as the car did.

Best repair other than replacing. I did this 20 years ago and still keeping everything solid and quiet.

I know the exact shield that you're talking about. I've taken it off of 2 Tauruses. They both got along fine for years.

Remove and discard.
Wrap if you're really bothered about the heat but don't fret if you don't replace it - just don't park in a field of stubble! Although on balance brand new diesel vehicles have set themselves on fire regenerating the dpf, and they had all egr factory heat shields in place!

You takes yer chances..

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I had a friend whose Mercury Capri burnt to the ground due to a removed cat heat shield and parking in a stubble field.

I had a Saab undercoating catch fire in the garage because of a missing heat shield. Once the fire extinguisher was empty and it started burning again it was total panic time trying to get a garden hose.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Remove and discard.
Wrap if you're really bothered about the heat but don't fret if you don't replace it - just don't park in a field of stubble! Although on balance brand new diesel vehicles have set themselves on fire regenerating the dpf, and they had all egr factory heat shields in place!

You takes yer chances..

Wrap it with what? "Don't park in stubble".These things are put on for a reason and I would not do a hack job like this as suggested. Put a large worm screw clamp around it, cheap, effective and better than ripping it off. I have done this on practically every Ford I have owned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back