Sockets get stuck new air tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brand new Onyx 3/8" air impact out of the box. Very first adapter I tried to put on won't fit. Tried a socket, nope. Nothing 3/8" fits. I finally got something on, then it was stuck! Appears to be something wrong with this retainer ring. Tools fit without it, but don't stay tight. Is there some magic to making this work correctly?

I have the same tool (1828) and it had the same problem when new. I took a pair of pliers and compressed the ring some.

I have to check mine next chance I get. I bought it a while back and haven't used it yet.

There's an Astro rep that's active on Garage Journal. If you end up needing some help from the company he might be able to point you in the right direction.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
I have the same tool (1828) and it had the same problem when new. I took a pair of pliers and compressed the ring some.

Thanks. Its a struggle but I can at least get a 3/8" driver on. The edges of the ring where the gap is catch and stick. When you pull something off they bend making it worse. Of course when I squeezed the ring with the smoothest pliers I could find it still roughed up the surface of that ring. Oh well, some day I'll probably be wishing it was this tight again.

Avoid using hand-tool sockets and adapters on impact wrenches that have a hog ring socket retainer. The hand-tool sockets/adapters have indents on the inner walls of the receptacle that the hog ring can get stuck in. This typically requires excessive force to remove the socket, which tends to damage the O-ring. Impact sockets and adapters have a smooth wall receptacle. There's a simple solution ... Just Clips makes a kit (JCP135) that can be used to replace the hog-ring.

Last edited:
That is typical of hog ring style retainers. It's great when you absolutely don't want the socket to fly off during use, but can be difficult to remove. The detent ball type of retainer is easier to get on and off, but doesn't hold sockets as tight.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5

Is that while the ring is installed, or off the tool by itself ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back