Anyone used new Carquest Platinum painted rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used these new Carquest-branded Platinum rotors? I'm shopping for parts for an upcoming brake job and these are the only ones Advance now offers for my Cruze. After discount code they'd be $35 each.

It appears the hat and edge are painted, but I don't know if they also paint the inside of the hat. The description makes me think they aren't painted down in the rotor vanes.

Advance Auto released these new rotors in the last few month. They're branding them "Carquest", even though they're available at both Carquest and Advance locations. It appears they've done this with maybe all of their rotor lines now.
AA press release on the new rotors
Quote:
ROANOKE, Va., November 10, 2016 – Advance Auto Parts, Inc. (NYSE: AAP), a leading automotive aftermarket parts provider in North America, recently debuted Carquest Platinum Painted Rotors, an exclusive line of premium rotors designed to meet commercial shops' need for quality replacement parts in a complete brake program. Carquest Platinum Painted Rotors have been vigorously tested to ensure rust and corrosion protection, and deliver a cost-efficient and customer-friendly alternative to coated rotors.

CQ_Platinum_PaintedRotor_PKG_02-copy.gif

11395585_qpr_yh200733p_pri_larg.jpg

I used them when I replaced the fronts on my Infiniti G35. Nice product and they work fine and the painted surface has held up well.

Originally Posted By: Cbst09
the painted surface has held up well.

Do you happen to remember if the inside of the hat that goes against the hub was painted? I'm wondering if they just paint the outside.

The last ones I used were only painted on the outside and edge, not inside the vains or hat.

Now if they would offer some decent brake calipers.

Their Whatever house brand are garbage and Cardone is ship to home only and expensive.

I just noticed a coated rotor the other day. It looks different than the painted one.

Product Features:
Premium coating that matches European manufacturer specifications for anti-corrosion protection.
Salt spray tested - longer rotor life and extended performance
OE based design for OE form, fit, and function
G3000 standard material specifications

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I just noticed a coated rotor the other day. It looks different than the painted one.

Yeah, I've actually used coated rotors before. The Zimmermann ones I used were fully coated. The ones I bought were rear rotors, so they didn't have vanes. But the way the coating is applied makes me think a vented rotor would be fully coated all the way down in the vanes.

ZR4_zps43352a4a.jpg

They look identical to the WBR coated rotors that Worldpac sells. WBR is the entry level brake line for WorldPac. CarQuest is the new owner of Worldpac. My cost on most of the WBR coated rotors is between $20-30/rotor.

Last edited:
I think they're a fad and a money spinner, no more no less. Any coating on the friction surface will be either; gone immediately or catastrophically dangerous - guess which happens from experience...

Any coating on the mounting face, hub to disc or disc to wheel, will only do what a smear of anti-seize would do and I'm still using a tub of anti seize that I bought in 08 or 09 - it goes a long way! The extra money for coated discs every time I need them for as long as a tub of grease lasts? It's cheaper to buy the grease. Rusted vanes have no impact on a road car.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
So, what do you think of those WBR rotors?

I have not used them. For most Toyotas, WorldPac is stocking WBR, WBR coated, Akebono coated, Brembo coated and Advics rotors. Pricing, from lowest to highest, is also in the same order. To date, I have only used the Akebono coated rotors (they are a Worldpac exclusive, so you won't find them elsewhere).

Based on the pictures, the WBR rotors look like they have a decent finish, but I don't think the coating will hold up as well as e-coating or the China version of Geomet.

That coating looks like what is on Bosch QuietCast rotors. Not sure how good the coating works.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I have not used them. For most Toyotas, WorldPac is stocking WBR, WBR coated, Akebono coated, Brembo coated and Advics rotors. Pricing, from lowest to highest, is also in the same order. To date, I have only used the Akebono coated rotors (they are a Worldpac exclusive, so you won't find them elsewhere).

Based on the pictures, the WBR rotors look like they have a decent finish, but I don't think the coating will hold up as well as e-coating or the China version of Geomet.

I didn't even know Akebono made rotors!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: The Critic

I didn't even know Akebono made rotors!
shocked2.gif

Here you go:
https://flic.kr/p/SLWAgL
https://flic.kr/p/RLM7FH

I personally prefer rotors with a non-directional finish, but to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back