2nd OCI on 2014 Ford F550 Powerstroke 6.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I received my 2nd annual OCI results from Blackstone on my 2015 35ft class C motorhome on a 2014 Ford F550 Powerstroke diesel 6.7. Ran Archoil 9100 with Mobil Delvac 5W-40 (CJ-4). Same driving conditions (pretty much all highway) plus additional flat towing of a 5,500 pound tow car (which I didn’t do during first OCI). Curious about the Iron wear levels being so much higher than the universal averages? Also, some of the other wear metals dropped this OCI...Chromium, Copper, Lead, Barium and Silver...while a few increased a little. Other wear metals appear at or below universal averages. Curious what you all think?

I also replaced the factory oil drain plug with a Gold Plug – Magnetic Drain plug (thanks to 2015_PSD...thank you!). Looking forward to next OCI with the magnetic drain plug. Curious enough, the stock oil drain plug on mine isn’t magnetic at all as some have indicated on the pickups. Maybe they skimp on the F550s?

Appreciate any insights you all may have. I hope all is well. Thanks again.

I'd run conventional 15w40 an oci and see if your Iron number improves.

Side note: did not know they did the 6.7 in a Class C, I had just assumed all V10s. Pretty cool. What kind of mileage do you get?

While your FE is higher than I've seen its not too high and your motorhome is still relatively low miles. I suggest eliminating the Archoil, and I am going to side with Brons2 here and suggest a 15w-40 or even a 10w-30. The Mobil numbers you have posted for the viscosity @ 100C is 12.07cST, which is really a 30 wt. I am currently looking at the spec sheet for the Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30 and its listed as a starting viscosity @ 100C of 12.1 cST.

I just checked one of my UOA's from my 6.7 with 10w-30 and ending viscosity after 10,000 mi. was 11.7 cST. Your report shows no fuel dilution I really don't know why your viscosity reads lower than it should, it doesn't appear to be hurting anything.

Besides roadrunner's series of UOAs, this is the only other Ford 6.7 I've seen at low miles. Nothing to worry about. I'm sure that the iron is just a product of the engine still wearing in and doing so with a considerable load. Your total weight, combined with the amount of air you have to push out of the way (especially in a head wind/cross wind) is putting much more load on the engine than a pickup truck.

If you still have a bunch of that D1 oil from the sales/rebates, then keep using it. I don't think that you need the additives but I don't know if it's harming anything either. I'm not up to snuff on that stuff. Overall, it all looks fine for what it is and how it's used.

I am surprised about the lack of copper in both these UOAs and roadrunner's. In all of my heavy duty engines, there has always been a bunch of copper from oil cooler leaching and it remained high for a long time.

Edit-I'm guessing that the Archoil is throwing off the ZDDP numbers somehow. I know they looked fine in the first analysis but I have to believe that in the second analysis, the phos/zinc reading was skewed by the additive (?)

Last edited:
Great. Thanks roadrunner and Brons2. Intereating about the shearing down to the 30wt...haven't thought of it like that. Brons2, THOR makes a super C on the F550 chassis. Not towing and fully loaded 10-11 mpg...towing and loaded 9-10 mpg. Not loaded, not towing...got as hight as 11-12. Appreciate your insights...thanks.

Thanks dustyroads...yes have 2 more D1 oil changes. Why are the other metal wear numbers so low while engine is being worked and the Iron is so much higher than average. Would have thought all wear metals would trend slightly higher than average relative to pickup truck numbers. Take care.

I noticed Zinc as well. Moly and zinc were greater on the Valvoline. I believe I saw a UOA for D1 in a 6.0 powerstroke and showed zinc in the 900s as well. Will look that up again.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Thanks dustyroads...yes have 2 more D1 oil changes. Why are the other metal wear numbers so low while engine is being worked and the Iron is so much higher than average. Would have thought all wear metals would trend slightly higher than average relative to pickup truck numbers. Take care.

Even though your engine is worked harder than someone using a Super Duty in light work, I wouldn't expect any extra bearing wear. The viscosity and engine rpm are high enough to create a good hydrodynamic wedge to keep everything separated. The oil is doing a good job minimizing ring wear as your analysis matches up with the averages.

I don't know if the iron will level out to match the averages, but I suspect that it will drop considerably over the next few OCIs. I really doubt that there's anything wrong. It's just that there is a lot of steel and the wear in is still in progress. I don't know if sitting at home for long periods is part of it or not.

Thanks Dustyroads. I drive it a least twice a month to get everything warmed up to temp. It definitely doesn't sit like most motorhomes. Appreciate the insights everyone.

Agreed. Not too concerned with it. I recall a UOA on a older 6.7 powerstroke from a tow truck fleet that eventually had an engine failure and the UOA before failure...all the wear metals were high. Remember Iron was like 125+ ppm. Appreciate all the input and knowledge everyone shares.

You're still so early in the life of this engine, I wouldn't worry much. Sure, the iron "seems" high, but you've got very few miles on the engine yet. The Delvac 1 held up fine. Now, you certainly can switch viscosity, but I'm generally not in favour of changing brands or viscosity just to chase UOA values.

Thanks Garak. Will see it through with Mobil Delvac 5w-40 CJ4. Then see what's available with CK4 when my stash runs out. Thanks.

That's the problem with early UOAs. They're tempting to do, but cna be alarming in a hurry.
wink.gif

Yes, for sure. It is cool to see how the engine is doing...not going to stress about it. Looks like the 6.7 sheared the oil to a 30wt...didn't know it was hard on oil like the 6.0? Maybe I have some fuel dilution that blackstone isn't accurately picking up? Truck regens every 500 miles...never turn off or cancel them. Thanks.

That certainly could be. They're not the best with fuel dilution, but of course, that's always just one number in a report among many, just like the iron. Of course, a weird number or two, even during break in, and you can't dare to look away.
wink.gif

The motor home weighs much more than a pickup truck ,I wonder if the greater load has to do with the higher numbers.

I am guessing that is it (I hope). All other stuff looks good...Wonder why iron is only elevated. Truthfully, I am not worried. Just curious on why other metals are at or below averages except Iron? Fun to see how the engine is breaking in.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I'm guessing that the Archoil is throwing off the ZDDP numbers somehow. I know they looked fine in the first analysis but I have to believe that in the second analysis, the phos/zinc reading was skewed by the additive (?)

Agree the P and Zn numbers seem odd on the 2nd OCI? Archoil didn't seem to mess with these numbers in my PSD (UOA on here). Nothing to worry about, just odd from my nonexpert view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back