2016 F150 3.5 EB ~9.4k miles Edge 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really ~5qt 0w40 and ~1.5qt 0w30 Castrol Edge. The truck did not tow much at all this round and it sat for at least 3 weeks when I recovered from surgery. I knew this one was going to have fuel because I could smell it when I changed the oil.

16097L01987-E-I-987178-Sev31.jpg

Originally Posted By: BeerCan
This is really ~5qt 0w40 and ~1.5qt 0w30 Castrol Edge. The truck did not tow much at all this round and it sat for at least 3 weeks when I recovered from surgery.

Other than sitting for 3 weeks (which should have no impact on the UOA), were your driving patterns significantly different this time around? Short tripping? Was the engine fully warmed up when you took this last sample?

In general, I agree with others - the oil seems to be holding up well, despite some fuel. The lab is flagging titanium which we know is an additive, and your manganese level is about the same or lower than in previous samples, so I don't see anything unusual here.

I would resample at the next OCI and see if this fuel contamination still persists. Then bring it to your dealer's attention before the warranty is up. Or is it already up due to miles?

Just as an FYI, when Polaris reports show fuel dilution of 5% GC".

This could be especially relevant in the case of extended OCIs when oil will begin to oxidize and thicken, perhaps disguising underlying fuel dilution.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Just as an FYI, when Polaris reports show fuel dilution of 5% GC".

Thanks for this info.

I'm guessing they went ahead and did the GC test on this latest sample because they thought the viscosity was out of whack (for a 40 grade oil). But did they know that it was a mix of 40 grade and 30 grade that the OP actually used?

I'll be honest I have had multiple EB and this is the first one that came back with no fuel dilution. It surprised me and I am willing to bet Danh has the right answer. The other 3 samples probably had some dilution. For 9k miles I don't think that number is strange from my experience. I will probably keep doing 7500 to 10,000 mile OCI.

This change had less towing by a lot but about the same trip usage in general.

BTW all the other changes were just Edge 0w30

Last edited:
Where do you go to get the UOA with Polaris? Their website is not easy to navigate for people to get a UOA.

I have a 2016 2.7 EB with intentions of putting Edge 5W-30 in her.

Have you always run the 40 weight over the 30?

Wonder where the moly went in the edge?? I thought i was on par with M1 and PP with moly, and also has titanium....

Wouldn't worry about the fuel dilution too much, these newer EB engine aren't beating up the oils like the original ones were. Viscosity is holding up much better than in the past with these engines.

Originally Posted By: jmw116
Where do you go to get the UOA with Polaris? Their website is not easy to navigate for people to get a UOA.

I have a 2016 2.7 EB with intentions of putting Edge 5W-30 in her.

Have you always run the 40 weight over the 30?

Wonder where the moly went in the edge?? I thought i was on par with M1 and PP with moly, and also has titanium....

Wouldn't worry about the fuel dilution too much, these newer EB engine aren't beating up the oils like the original ones were. Viscosity is holding up much better than in the past with these engines.

I buy the 10 pack here http://www.polarislabs.biz/lubricants1.aspx

This is my first OA with Edge 0w40, the last 3 were edge 0w30 and it performed almost exactly the same.

I am not worried about the dilution, I had a 2011 with 80k miles and no issues. I also have 2 other EB's (not 3.5's)that show dilution, it's just what these DI engines do and I consider it "normal"

Much better results than with M1 and Pennzoil syn. in the Ecoboost applications. The full syn Maxlife did pretty good as well.

It looks like it is safe to go 10,000 mi oil changes with the 2015+ ecoboosts. There is guy on here using the castrol magnatec (semi-syn) going 10K each oil change every time and low fuel dilution. I will dump my factory fill (purchased truck with 15K) of MC 5w-30, send for sample and give her castrol edge @ 20K.

Will probably change oil at 5K until UOA shows safe to go higher.

BeerCan

Do you usually fill up with 87 octane or 93 or 89??? I wonder if there is any correlation between the fuel quality and the fuel dilution.. There is lots of speculation but I don't know if there is any facts.

Originally Posted By: rodinator1234
BeerCan

Do you usually fill up with 87 octane or 93 or 89??? I wonder if there is any correlation between the fuel quality and the fuel dilution.. There is lots of speculation but I don't know if there is any facts.

I use 93 when I tow and a either 87 or 93 when around town. Based on pure feeling I think it has had more 93 than 87. I mostly use Costco, Shell, BP and QT when in GA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BeerCan
Originally Posted By: rodinator1234
BeerCan

I use 93 when I tow and a either 87 or 93 when around town. Based on pure feeling I think it has had more 93 than 87. I mostly use Costco, Shell, BP and QT when in GA.

Thanks, I just bought a left over 2015 King Ranch Supercrew 3.5L in Feb of 2017 and was curious. I've been filling up with 89 octane. I plan on using 89 or 93 I suppose. I have 2400 miles on the truck.

I'm coming from a 2005 5.4L Supercrew 4x4 and what a difference. Today is the first chance I got to tow a trailer with it, same trailer I towed with the 2005 and WOW what a difference in power and overall feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back