Fighting Traffic Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: greenjp
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Example, by going faster, one saves about 80 hours of driving time per year. In 80 hours, or 2 normal work-weeks, most of us earn quite a bit more than even the most expensive ticket.

x100 Well said.

logical fallacies FTW, eh ?

ARE you actually earning two weeks more money speeding ?

(or paying someone to mow your lawn, which is the same fallacy)

I think not...

Please, don't be pedantic. The point here is that our time is valuable. Speaking about it in terms of money is one way to try to quantify that value.

Of course reduced time driving doesn't equal more money in my bank account. It does however equate to more time to do things I'd rather be doing - spending time with my kids, sleeping, cooking, relaxing, etc. My commute is about 55 minutes or 1:40 (total, both ways) depending on which work site I'm going to. By exceeding the speed limit by about 20% (ie going 65 in a 55) I free up 10-20 minutes per day. That extra time is worth the monetary risks associated with a speeding ticket.

jeff

pedantic ???

The premise was that you earn more in that time than even the most expensive ticket...

I was pointing out that it's a logical fallacy UNLESS you are actually earning the money to pay for the ticket in that newly freed up time.

If, as you point out you simply have better things to do with your time, then that falls back to personal choice, not an economic equation as stated (the one that you agreed to and I countered).

You AREN'T making up the cost of even the cheapest ticket, are you ?

Received the court's decision today.

Case Dismissed!

I'm guessing the traffic officer didn't bother writing up and sending in his version once he saw I had written such a robust defence.

Additionally, because there was a documented pattern of not being given a copy of the dashboard video, I cited CA regulations which required disclosure and asserted I was being denied my right to a fair trial.

So it's possible the court simply dismissed the case on those grounds.

Anyway, I'm $300 richer and will buy 6 jugs of M1 AP to celebrate!
laugh.gif

I should add that when I did research on beating traffic tickets, it was interesting to find that in California, it is very easy to beat tickets for speeding.

It is the reason why there are many fixed price, "no win no fee" services for less than $100.

Mine was not a speeding ticket so was harder to get out of.

Apparently, tickets based on video evidence where there was no human observation of the alleged infraction can also be beaten.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Example, by going faster, one saves about 80 hours of driving time per year. In 80 hours, or 2 normal work-weeks, most of us earn quite a bit more than even the most expensive ticket.

x100 Well said.

logical fallacies FTW, eh ?

ARE you actually earning two weeks more money speeding ?

(or paying someone to mow your lawn, which is the same fallacy)

I think not...

My time is the most valuable asset I have. 80 hours of additional free time per year equates to two weeks vacation. Exceedingly valuable. Sorry I was not clear in my first post.

In fact, that's why I own an airplane. The time saved is rather significant.

OP, for the record, there was no reason to go to court or have any interaction with the clerk whatsoever. You can print the Trial by Declaration form online, fill it out, attach your evidence/arguments, and mail it in. You're also allowed to defer a ticket by up to 90 days, online. Gives the cop more time to forget about it that way.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I accept responsibility for my actions.

I do not accept responsibility for going 76 in a 50 when I was not going 76 in a 50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anduril
OP, for the record, there was no reason to go to court or have any interaction with the clerk whatsoever. You can print the Trial by Declaration form online, fill it out, attach your evidence/arguments, and mail it in. You're also allowed to defer a ticket by up to 90 days, online. Gives the cop more time to forget about it that way.

Yeah I know about mailing it in, but it was as easy for me to do this in person as going to the post office. And I was a few days from the due date so it was safer to deliver it in person.

There was no option online for extending and any extension was limited to 30 days at a time. Once I wrote up my written declaration, I was eager for a verdict and I felt that I had a solid case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back