PUP - 5w30 - 1003 miles - C5 Corvette Z06

Status
Not open for further replies.
The combination of an oil change mid summer, and my normal march (ish) oil change to get ready for summer resulted in 1003 miles on the oil. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W/30. The 1003 miles were hard, lots of WOT and a beating with the oil getting into the 260s. Car has a Novi 1500 blower, heads, cam, link-bar lifters, meth injection, headers, more supporting mods, stock short block. Runs on 93 pump. Wix filter.

Switching to Castrol 0w40 Euro (w/Fram Ultra) and will send the sample in with 2000 miles. Going to change often to determine OCI based on how the meth is reacting with the oil.

+1 Pennzoil even told me the PU 5w30 isn't the correct oil for one modified engine due to the engine work, the oil cant take that sort of beating, they recommended and supplied 0w40. I will run it for 1K and may then try Castrol 0w40 also depending on the results. Nothing bad with PU its just the application.

Here's another example of money well spent on a UOA. I changed my mind a while ago about the value of an occasional UOA.

I would normally say 15W-50 or 0W-40 in this application too, but it's hard to argue with the results. The 5W-30 seems to be holding up fine. 260 oil is no problem, it definitely shows you were working it. Oil at 300 means time to back off a little. Thanks for posting.

Yikes I would definitely use 15w50 based on this UOA and resend at same mileage for uoa...should tell you what you need to know.

TBH: I am pretty newbish with analyzing the UOA. I can only assume the concern is over the iron? That would indicate the oil wasn't doing its job as parts are wearing...correct?

Not necessarily. It means the engine is wearing...likely from the pounding the car is taking.

I can tell you this...with your mods and how you drive it...there is no way in [censored] id run 30wt. Id run 5w-40 Delo or Rotella at a minimum.

I had a 95 mustang with a 5.0. Ford racing gt40 heads, e303 cam, gt40 upper and lower intake, 50lb injectors, voretch super charger, tremmic trans etc. Car ran 11.80s on street tires.

I ran rotella 5w40 in mine and had great results. 5w30 M1 would NOT hold up based on UOAs. Your car undoubtedly makes more power than mine did...id even look into a 50wt

The wear uis in the filter pleats. Did you look in there?

Run a good 40 (not long life) and leave it for 3K at least.

If you change oil at 1000 you are going to kill it - fresh is not "better"

DP compete with AW. DP is at MAX when new andf you will have xs wear for the first 1000.

If you are going to change - use a race oil with low DP and high AW constituents.

Forget Diesel oil. Wrong stuff.

It's not unusual for Gm engines to throw iron when worked hard, I've seen higher ppm than yours before.

If you get a better wear metal number with 2k on a European 0w40 I would probably keep up with it.

That PU 5w-30 add pack either started out weak, or was heavily used up....or both. Based on the UOA almost looks like a low SAPS oil.

I would also like to add to the discussion from my observations that most corvette owners baby them so the universal averages probably have a lot of that bringing the numbers low.

While I aware that people do track these I can't imagine it's a large percentage of the total ownership let alone those who actually change their own oil and do uoas with Blackstone.

Everytime I get around a corvette I always wanna hear them let the engine sing but I usually have to pass them as their usually elderly people driving under the speed limit. Obviously younger people aren't always at the place in life to afford these toys.

0W-40 or 15W50 syn oil. 1000 mile changes maybe a 15W-40 HDEO or Valvoline 20W-50 conventional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back