FF front diff fluid, 2016 Suburban, 7k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent this off when I changed the fluid out of our 2016 Suburbans front diff. It had 7k miles on it and I switched it over to AMSOIL's Severe Gear 75w-90.

The fluid looked like this when I drained it.

Here is what Blackstone had to say.

7K miles on the factory fill? There are many trucks that never change the diff oil and have 250K plus. I would have at least waited to 100K. This just sounds like overkill.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
7K miles on the factory fill? There are many trucks that never change the diff oil and have 250K plus. I would have at least waited to 100K. This just sounds like overkill.

Welcome to BITOG. There is a MASSIVE AMOUNT of "over maintenance" going on here. I towed a 5,500 pound travel trailer all over the country in my Silverado 5.3-6 speed transmission. At 50,000 miles (the vast majority of those miles were towing) I changed both my transmission fluid and differential. Both still visually looked good.

So yea-your right.

My 2009 Silverado looked just like that when I originally drained the frond Diff. I always wondered if it was moisture contamination since it rarely got up to operating temp. That said, the 2nd time I did a drain and fill, it wasn't milky. I wonder if they had a lithium base in the factory fill.

Things that make you go Hmmm.....

Last edited:
I did it to see how it would turn out. I knew it was good. I also change out all the FF before 10k. Just the way I do things. I don't have a life, no hobbies. Considering what one spends on sports, fishing, hunting and such, mine is UOA's.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
I did it to see how it would turn out. I knew it was good. I also change out all the FF before 10k. Just the way I do things...

I think that is a wise practice.

Last edited:
I do an early change on every vehicle I buy then go on the factory interval'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back