you have to add a quart

Status
Not open for further replies.
these people who go 3,000 or more miles between changes. If they need to add a quart, do they add a quart or just go ahead and change their oil?

I top off during intervals when needed. Oil consumption and oil degradation are not often linked in my experience. So why waste the remaining life of the unconsumed portion? I suppose the same argument could be made for the additional amount added (it wouldn't have gone through its own usable lifetime by the time one reaches the original drain interval) but my way makes sense to me, so that's what I do.

Depends who you talk to, really

In all honesty, I'd wager that the vast majority of people who go 3000 miles between changes don't actually change their own oil, but rather pay a Jiffy Lube type place to do it, and thus never even open their hood in those 3000 miles.. unless they've broken down on the side of the highway or similar.. and thus they would not have added any oil to the engine if it was a quart low. In fact, they would not even know it was a quart low. They would find out once it was a lot more than a quart low.. on the side of the highway.

On BITOG, however, you're likely to get an entirely different story. I, for one, check my oil numerous times during my 7,500 oil change interval, even though it does not leak or burn any oil, just to make sure I'm aware of any changes.

The intersection set between BITOG readers and 3,000 milers has to be vanishingly small. From where I sit, this question is interesting, but needs to be tightened. If we are talking about a car at the bottom end of the oil quantity range, keep driving. If the car is genuinely one quart below the minimum, then an additional quart or an immediate oil change is merited. Low is low.

I think he is refering to the bottom of the SAFE range. If I had to add a quart and was using synthetic oil I'd definitely add a quart several times. If I was using a name brand Dino they add one quart and change when it was down to minimum safe. Ed

Last edited:
If I haven't checked my dip stick in such a long time that I need a quart something is wrong. If I'm halfway between minimum and maximum I'll top off.

To answer that question, you have to take said vehicle beyond 3000 miles, see what happens, and get a UOA or two along the way.

It might only be burning a quart/3k. It might have depleted the oil. You simply don't know with the information provided - more info necessary!

My old hyundai used a qt every 1500 mi, so i was always adding at least 1 qt in a 3000mi oci.
if i didn't, when i went in for an oil change, the dipstick would be dry.

Technically, the "add" mark is still in the safe range-so I would add a quart when it got just BELOW the add mark (not letting it get any lower/keeping an eye on it). The only vehicle I routinely deal with that runs low regularly is my old 7.3 F-450, the add mark means TWO quarts low, so then it gets ONE quart, because all the way full generally means it leaks faster! I have inherited a couple company vehicles in the past that seemed to run a quart low right when it was OCI time, so I got it changed instead of adding oil.

Originally Posted By: BULLDOG221
these people who go 3,000 or more miles between changes. If they need to add a quart, do they add a quart or just go ahead and change their oil?

I used to add a quart if needed, then change the oil shortly afterwards. After being a member here, I've realized you can monitor the oil level and just do a change when the time comes as long as you don't go below the safe level on the dipstick before the oil change.

Last edited:
I had no specific vehicle in mind. I have been on several forums and the opinions vary. as for myself, if I was at the 2000 mile mark and needed to add a quart, I would change the oil. Someone else might choose to add a quart and drive on.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Sure seemed that a simple question produced lots of unfocused answer words.

And in the wrong Forum.
shocked2.gif

I go more than 3000 miles and do not have to add any oil between intervals. If I need to add I would do so, only changing the oil when necessary.

Changing the oil just because it is low makes no sense.
The oil in there is still fine (if within the specified OCI).
You are wasting good oil if you do this.

My truck uses a qt every 1500 miles. I am not going to change my oil every 1500 miles.
I add a qt @ 1500 miles.
Add another qt @ 3000 miles.
At 4500 miles, I drain the oil and change the filter (which is about 7 months for me).
This means I use 8 qts of oil and 1 filter in 4500 miles.
If I drained every 1500, I would use 18 qts and 3 filters in 4500 miles.

I could add a qt @ 4500 miles and do a change at 6000 miles, but that is about a year of driving.
Not comfortable with that long on a short trip vehicle.

Plus the oil I am adding to top off with is the 5000 mile "used" synthetic oil from my car.

Now if your doing a 7500 mile OCI and @ 6500 miles you are a qt low, then maybe I would change it, but would probably add a qt and go to 8000 miles.

Originally Posted By: BULLDOG221

I typically don't wait until it's a full quart low. When it's down a bit, I add half a quart and keep on driving. Lather, rinse, repeat. Over the course of an annual OCI, I typically end up adding 1.5-2 quarts total. Yes, my engine consumes a bit, and it seeps a bit, too. Old age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back