Honda mower-First time DIY service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a two year old Honda and I'm tired of paying $100+ every season to have the shop service. I am reasonably mechanically adept so decided to try it myself. Here's the deal in case you're in the same situation.

There are four tasks to complete. Fortunately, Honda supplies a very good owner's manual for you to follow. Very few tools are needed: a torque wrench (a must!); socket set, a spark plug socket, spark plug gap tool, low profile pan and a block of wood.

1. Oil change: couldn't be more straightforward. Simply tip the mower on its right side and dump the old oil out the fill hole. You will need a low profile pan that holds at least a pint (16ozs). I've done this about three times now and every time the Oil looks really beat up compared to used oil you get out of an automobile engine. Remember, there is no cooling system and no filter, so frequent oil changes are a must. Since this is BITOG, I also decided to beef up the oil over spec so have been using M1 0W-40 which has a beefed up additive package. YMMV. Also, on the oil, pay attention to the manual's instruction on checking the oil level. You do not screw in the cap to check the level. This means if you screw the cap in to check it, you won't have enough oil in it-not a good thing.

2. Air filter: couldn't be simpler. Plug and play. Just pay attention to the orientation of the old one and install the new one identically. Save this filter. You can probably blow it out and re-use it.

3. Spark plug: purchase the specified plug. Check the gap before installing (mine needed a small adjustment). Torque to specified value. Pretty simple.

4. Blades: this was the biggie for me. I do not own a proper power grinder to sharpen them. Maybe someone can school us on the proper file and technique to do by hand but it won't be me. My solution? Buy an extra set of blades and have the shop sharpen them. They are not expensive and the shop charges $7.50/blade to put a knife edge on them so for now, I'm going to give the shop $15/ yr for that. There are two bolts holding the two blades on (they are stacked). This is where the block of wood comes in, placing it so that the blades won't turn while you are torquing he bolts. Pay attention to how they are stacked together so that you get this right when replacing. I discovered that my large blade had a large chunk of metal missing where I'd run over a solid object so I ended up replacing it as well.

So, that's it. I spent about $50 this time around, $30 of which went for the extra set of blades (optional). I will change the oil at mid season and next winter, do 1,2 &4 above, changing the plug only every other season. I will spend $5 on oil, blow out the air filter, and swap out the blade pair. I will have reduced by annual maintenance expense from $110 to about $20, an 82% reduction.

Reactions: JC1
If it's a Honda self propelled like mine, the rear wheels need to be taken off and cleaned. I used Valvoline GM red grease to grease it all back up.

Need a set of snap ring pliers too, and pay attention to how the gears are installed because they can be installed backwards, and watch out for that little spring popping out of the channel. Clean it out good, and then grease it too along with the gears. That spring in the channel is what works that little part that makes the clicking sound when it is rolling. The channel and spring gets gummed up.

My back wheels starting locking up during the third mowing season with zero maintenance. Rolls like new after I did the service.

Yep, it's the rear axle bushings that seize up and eventually put so much of a load on the drive system that it will destroy the gear or hydrostatic drive. The problem is, you often don't know it's happening because the rear wheels will freewheel fine given they are independent to the drive axle. You can usually get years between clean/lubing these bushings.

Last edited:
For the blade sharpening, you can get a grinder and sharpen them yourself.

Grinder at my house gets plenty of use

Congratulations on DIY.
Buy a small Angle Grinder and sharpen the Blades yourself.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-angle-grinder-with-paddle-switch-65519.html

Now learn to PM your Snow-Thrower and Generator, also your vehicle.

Now you really start to save some money.

Nothing better than a hobby that makes you feel independent.

WARNING:
Don't ever turn the Blade of the lawn-mower without first disconnecting the Spark-Plug.
Why ? .... Think of how they use to start the old airplanes.

Last edited:
I find a hand file to be a good tool for sharpening the blade.
Pop the blade into a vice, match the same profile as the original grind and keep filing until the blade is nice and sharp.
Allows you to inspect the work and won't scorch the metal if you get too aggressive with the power grinder.

Can't post the link as the file name is censored.

Search for 10" mill b.a.s.t.a.r.d file.

Remove the periods.

Last edited:
Buy a grinder. It will pay for itself the first time you use it. You dont need an expensive one, a cheap one will do.

Remove the spark plug wire any time you tip it over to mess with the blades.

Dont forget to lube up the rear drive wheels.

Air filter and spark plug are realistically usable for years on homeowner equipment. Just bang out the filter, re-gap the plug. The Briggs and Stratton flat air filter is identical but a few bucks cheaper.

No cooling system? What's that big fan on the crankshaft for?
I use a vacuum oil remover and an NGK platinum version of the BP6ES for easy starts. Oil is T6. My ionda is almost 20 years old and has never been near the dealer. I bought it "mail order".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Didn't realize there was a fan in there but guess I was thinking liquid coolant like auto four strokes. Regardless, I still say the oil takes a beating....

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
NEVER blow out an air filter with compressed air.

Why not? Been doing that on the OPE for years...

Last edited:
I think most owners manuals call for plug replacement every year. That said, I only replace my plug when it doesn't work right (or at all) anymore. I think I may be on my 4th or 5th plug in my 44 year old rider mower with a tecumseh 6 hp engine.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Didn't realize there was a fan in there but guess I was thinking liquid coolant like auto four strokes. Regardless, I still say the oil takes a beating....
Anything over weed wacker size has a fan. The mower engine may be overcooled except in really hot weather.

You can also get blades, filters and plugs - at least for semi current models - at Home Depot. They also sell the plug/filter/oil in a kit should you wish to use Honda oil.

Might want to pick up a spare air cleaner cover from dealer or online supplier, the tabs sometimes get weak and it doesn’t want to stay on, must be a semi common problem because the dealer had quite a few in stock...

Purchase Honda lawn mower model #HRX2175VKA from Home Depot for $573.00 on 6/25/15.Over the last 2 years we have used the mower about 10 hours and have done the following;drained the oil and added 11oz. of new oil,changed the spark plug,cleaned the air filter,sharpened the blades($15)added stai-built to the gas and cleaned the undercarriage. Santa give me the shop manual(61VH700HYAE3) for Christmas witch has over 70 pages detailed illustrations .Unfortunately most of it is over my head. After the 2017 season it looks like i will have to take it to a service center for checking the valve clearance,fuel lines,inspect and grease the pinion gears and the rear wheel adjuster bushings. Over all this is a great machine,the last one lasted over 15 years and sold in a tag sale in 10 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back