Penn Grade 1 High Performance Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: kschachn
What sort of data would lead you to believe that there is something special about the oil? I mean other than believing there is something special.

Marketing aside, what I find is attractive is that they have a few higher ZDDP options for those interested, in a variety of grades. VR1, one of the better alternatives, is somewhat limited in grades. Other options are often purely racing oils. While this stuff isn't cheap, it's still priced more attractively than other boutiques advertising the higher ZDDP content.

Of all stupid things, VR1 up here is quite cheap, cheaper than most other conventionals on the shelf at regular, quart pricing. Yet, those that carry it only stock 20w-50, which is worse than useless for about half the year.

OK, I guess that is all required for a 1992 Buick Roadmaster.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Lol I guess because its not cheap, API SN, and at Wal Mart.

Personally if Isky, Crower, and Howard recommend it, what more do you need?

BTW I've got nothing against VR-1, but personally it would be my 3rd choice, after Penn Grade 1 and Delo.

Pretty neat that where my dad lives he found the Penn Grade stuff st mom and pop parts place but it's $7/quart

Originally Posted By: kschachn
OK, I guess that is all required for a 1992 Buick Roadmaster.

It's probably overkill for both the Roadmaster and my F-150, but at least there's something still available out there that isn't charging $20 a quart or something silly.
wink.gif

Out of curiosity Garak, if I were to get into dealing this oil, do you think I'd have any success selling it as a kit? Oil, filter, maybe even a disposal jug?

I'm waiting to here from a distributor about possibly carrying it, and it would just be a local deal.

It may be possible, if you can keep the pricing reasonable, and convince people it has some value above buying something at the Walmart or a boutique from elsewhere. Of course, we BITOGers are a different breed than the average guy out there when it comes to what we buy. As far as I'm concerned, there can be opportunities found where even the big players miss the boat. Like I've mentioned up here, Walmart will sell VR1 20w-50 at a great price, but won't even stock the 10w-30, which would make far more sense.

I think the marketing is everything. Guys around here are weird, as most of them don't really care about oil. You'd think high dollar cars and engines would go hand in hand with proper oil, but that's hardly ever the case.

I think I'd be a good marketer and sales rep for our shop carrying the brand. I'm well versed in the selling points(zinc and phosphorus fortified, decades old trusted formula) and I've got PDS documents at the ready.

I really need this too. Finally get to do something other than work on cars, and I'm actually passionate about it.

Car clubs might be a good place to spread the word. It certainly can be done; you just have to focus on those who take the maintenance seriously. For the guy who wants 5 quarts of oil from Walmart for under $10, well, he'll be the hard sell. But, those people who are hunting down Red Line or buying expensive options online, that's another matter.

I already know of someone in a car club who uses Brad Penn.
smile.gif
I'm also planning on being pretty aggressive with advertising that we have it. Hitting up car shows and swap meets with posters and some oil on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back