Scrap price of Honda 4-cylinder engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an engine out of a 2008 Honda Civic that is blown. Any ideas what the engine is worth at the scrap yard? I plan on separating the aluminum and steel parts since I want to open it up anyways.

Thanks!

Cast iron pays more than sheet steel. As do hardened parts. Cast aluminum would be more and may be in the $0.30-0.40 a lbs range

Did that one have the cracked block leaking coolant?

Scrap steel is going $5.50 a hundred pounds around here, so all mine is laying around waiting till it gets over $10 a hundred again. Not worth hauling right now to me.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Did that one have the cracked block leaking coolant?

Scrap steel is going $5.50 a hundred pounds around here, so all mine is laying around waiting till it gets over $10 a hundred again. Not worth hauling right now to me.

Nope, this one had the hit an object on the road destroying the bottom of the radiator and then keep driving until the engine fries! haha

This engine has a plastic dip stick and it was melted in half it got so hot...

I am putting in a 2011 engine so I won't have to worry about the engine block cracking. Only 2006-early 2009 engines had the cracking problem.

I sold about $8 worth of scrap metal at a salvage yard once. Pulled my little 4'X 8' trailer with a WRX I once owned. The place was a mud hole. By the time I spent a couple of bucks at a coin operated car wash cleaning my car and the trailer plus the cost of gas, I didn't make anything. I just sit any scrap metal next to my trash on trash day and a trash picker will usually take it.

I've hauled enough beer cans in my Accent to get back $50..... 6 55 gallon bags of crushed cans.

You won't get much. My last big haul was 7,000 lbs (dumptruck) of number 1 iron and I received a whopping $.04/lb.
That was about a year ago though.

I hauled a load of scrap metal one time. Scratched up my truck bed. Tore the moulding off the tailgate, truck got muddied up like a pig and I threw out my back. But hey, I got $28.00

Even if I only got $10 for it what would be the alternative? Put a whole engine in the garage can? Haha

Put it out on the curb with a sign that says, "Free, runs great". And see who takes it.
laugh.gif

after I pay for the gas, the flat tire repair, and cleaning the truck, I make about 50 cents a hour for the trip.

Rod

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Put it out on the curb with a sign that says, "Free, runs great". And see who takes it.
laugh.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
the flat tire repair

Rod

Some folks are plain careless with their litter. I sometimes wonder if they are intentionally throwing screws, paperclips, nails, glass and such on the ground.

Put it to the curb with a free sign you haul. It won't stay there long, at least not in my neck of the woods. Scrappers still running around here trying to make a buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back