purolator filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Ah, yes, the typical thread ...
"Hey - something bad happened, but I took a shotgun and blasted a solution at it. What do you think the problem was?"

I agree at face value, the filter in the picture would be at least the first suspected cause.

Allow me to offer some advice with rational perspective.
Anytime someone suspects a filter is causing a ticking/noise/etc problem, do these, in this order:

1) don't panic and start changing stuff; think your way through this
2) go get another filter; check it and prep for install
3) remove the suspected filter; set aside but do NOT destroy, cut, weld, hit, bang, poke at it. Don't BITOG it; just have patience. Put it on the bench and carefully cover it up with care. Do NOT change the oil. Repeat, do NOT change the oil. One variable at a time, guys and gals.
4) install new filter; top off the oil to compensate the loss of filter volume; try to use something super comparable to what came out
5) start engine; listen; drive. Is it the same? Has it changed?
6) regardless if the noise came or went, prepare for more changes ...
7) take off "new" filter; reinstall "old" filter
8) refill again, test again, observe again
9) take off "old"; reinstall "new"
10) top off and test again

If the filter changes do not make the concern come and go, then put the old filter back on, and THEN change oil. See if that helps. I have been known to reuse oil when diagnosing. Just use a super-clean vessel to "catch and release" so to speak. Most of you are anal-retentive in your near-clinical approach to OCIs; why should there be concern?

Why do all this? Because if the first filter is really at fault, then you should be able to remove and install the "problem" and control the cause. If not, you've not found the issue yet. There is nothing in the filter that should be so sensitive that a simple remove/install will "fix" whatever you perceive is wrong. Doing so isn't going to realign the ADBV, or make a BP valve spring suddenly dislodge and re-seat, etc ...

Try to analyze the situation, and take one step at a time, and see if you can manipulate the effect by controlling the potential cause, one variable at a time.

Or, BITOG it with a shot-gun approach and never know for sure ....

this is what i did ! i used mobil 1 before and after. i used a purolator filter forthe first time on this car. same oil both times, different filter the second time and problem was gone. i will never buy another purolator filter, ever . cheap junk after looking at these things. much better filters out there for the same money.

Originally Posted By: hardheaded
this is what i did ! i used mobil 1 before and after. i used a purolator filter forthe first time on this car. same oil both times, different filter the second time and problem was gone. i will never buy another purolator filter, ever . cheap junk after looking at these things. much better filters out there for the same money.

Do you still have the bad filter laying around? If so, what do the louvers look like ... really opened up, or closed up like the photo I showed?

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
OK - you got half way there, right?
Did you reinstall the suspect filter and confirm the noise?
no need to reinstall that junk filter back on the car. i installed an AC Delco filter and it stopped the ticking. i thought about thius for awhile before swapping out filters. sure glad i did.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Did you check the center tube louvers to see if they were nearly closed up?

That is an annoying trend, isn't it? I'm used to looking at a filter to make sure the right one is in the box, if there is a box, and to make sure it didn't get driven over or something stupid. But, having to carefully inspect something which should have been inspected at the factory is a little much, I think.

I agree. With all the negative press here about Purolator filters over the years now, not months, see zero reasons to even think of using one. There are much better choices for the same money or even less. I bracketed I to avoid the possible flaming that might follow.

sucks, i used to really like Purolator filters.

I've been switching to other filter brands gradually, like wix and hastings. but i'll still buy some motorcrafts hear and there unless the quality there goes completely down the tubes.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I certainly would love to have things get back to normal in that regard!

Don't hold your breath. It's been 3 years since the whole Purolator quality problem started. Now they have revamped the whole line and they still have problems. Oil filter design and manufacturing really can't be that hard.

I know. And they didn't fill us with confidence, at least those of us who expected things to change when the lines were revamped. And no, it can't be that hard. They did it right before. Did someone there get dropped on his head or something?

I don't immediately hate Purolator oil filters just because of this thread, but I am going to check carefully inside my new Purolator (and other brand) oil filters to make sure there is some kind of holes in the core to allow flow through the filter media.

I went to change oil in my Jeep and pulled a filter from my stock. Open and low and behold - RUST in my Purolator filter. I had read about this (and other) threads and was curious. Sure enough - attack of the killer rust.

Decided I'd try and file a warranty claim with them. They were very prompt with dealing with me and with the communications, but comes as no surprise my claim for a replacement was DENIED.

Purolator claims the filter was years old. I don't have the receipt so I don't know when I purchased it. Could have been sitting in an autoparts store for a while for all I know. Since I can't verify purchase date we have to leave it there. I took to my local AAP store for an exchange and they could not find when I bought either. I usually register everything with my phone number but we could not find this model. Other filter models we could find. So no exchange there.

The purolator denial said (1) the filter was old; (2) it was stored in a moist area; (3) and for that the claim is denied. I replied back to the claims person if the filter was stored in a moist environment, why was it not covered with even more rust? I would have expected every piece of exposed metal to be covered in rust. Other filters I have, stored the same way - never had a rust issue. No reply to that message.

Like others mentioned here, I'm done with Purolator filters. Never buy another of anything they sell. I guess you have to store these in sealed bags where there is 0% chance of any moisture getting to them.

It's buyer beware, and this buyer is well aware.

Last edited:
^^^ What's the date code on the dome of the filter? Might as well cut it open to see the carnage inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back