ESD PROTECTION?

Status
Not open for further replies.
every so often I see discussions about EMP production. Anybody on here actually doing anything? I have a friend who keeps a metal garbage can in basement, filled with LED lights, some electronics. Thoughts? Supposedly North Korea now have EMP bombs, as well as regular ones.

1. North Korea will never be able to launch an attack on us.
2. As far as your friend, I dont think a garbage can will protect and electronics should be his last concern.

To be prepared he will need a food source (not sure if he lives in the country or city/suburbia)

1. He should be more concerned with a 1 year food supply for him and his family and/or be able to hunt and fish along with a couple hundred million other Americans.
2. He will need a source of water, if he doesnt have city water and has a private well, then some inexpensive solar panel to hook up to his well might work.
3. He will need plenty of guns and ammo and be willing to shoot anyone who wants his food and water (including friends and family).
AS people start starving, word will get out and he will have to defend it or run.
There will be a break down of government and law enforcement, gangs will roam the streets, going house to house and taking whatever they want, unless you and your neighbors can defend yourselves.

4. There is also an in-between and in the past what has made this country great, people come together and do the right thing but there is no way to know until it happens and if it happens, it wont be that way all over the country.

But if all he has is electronics in a garbage can, I think he needs to think a little deeper. :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
every so often I see discussions about EMP production. Anybody on here actually doing anything? I have a friend who keeps a metal garbage can in basement, filled with LED lights, some electronics. Thoughts? Supposedly North Korea now have EMP bombs, as well as regular ones.

For the record, why is this thread "ESD" and the commentary "EMP". They are different things in discussion, although a "standard" ESD fits as an EMP. And a strong Faraday cage protects from both in a fashion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

And this is the fear: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_electromagnetic_pulse

My concern with turning the little NK creep into smoke is what might happen to South Korea if we are "a little off".

Simply getting off the grid will not protect you from EMP. Any solar, generating or charging equipment not protected by some kind of faraday cage will be fried.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
1. North Korea will never be able to launch an attack on us.
:eek:)

Probably not in the next few years but they could sneak one in a cargo freighter or passenger airliner as freight even today.

ESD I figured you were going to talk about how to ground yourself before working on electronics.

sorry for mixing up the two terms. I do have an anti static mat and a wrist strap with resistor. As for EMP, a friend many years ago had a faraday cage made of chicken wire around a home made board using a M6800 and machine language...sort of a pre Mac . The garbage can did not preclude spare food, but is intended to keep LED flashlights and portable spare radio from frying. A working flashlight is a nice gadget, and we don't know what will get fried.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Its why Russia kept using vacuum tubes and wind up clocks long after the transistor

Not to mention that they couldn't build consumer products in any sensible quantity until what, the middle of Gorbachev's tenure?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Its why Russia kept using vacuum tubes and wind up clocks long after the transistor

Not to mention that they couldn't build consumer products in any sensible quantity until what, the middle of Gorbachev's tenure?

No my dear,
they bought it from Germany and Japan at that time.

P.S. story from a research institute "over the wall": when Texas Instruments released the new catalog, a week later it was tech p..n time....
P.S. i was a really young pup in '80, but i remember really small and compact tv produced in CCCP. retail available only on USSR, not to other countries from "The Wall"

They still didn't produce much of anything as it was. That was one of Gorby's big pushes at the time to reform the economy there. Too much was geared towards production for the military, and not enough for the consumers. Of course, we're derailing.
wink.gif

and kerosene lamps

Originally Posted By: pandus13
P.S. story from a research institute "over the wall": when Texas Instruments released the new catalog, a week later it was tech p..n time....

it took them a decade to reverse engineer TI TTL logic, e.g. Series 74, another decade to illegally copycat a Yugo copycat of a Wang PC (Iskra 226). Reverse engineering is a very wasteful utilization of talent

Originally Posted By: Y_K

and kerosene lamps
And an adequate supply of kerosene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back