Buying a bicycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend and I are going to start biking . For me to get back in shape and to share something fun together.
Went to a bike store and holy cow you can spend a fortune. How awful are Walmart bikes or a store like ***** sporting goods bikes? We want something reliable and decent but doesn't have to be a Cadillac . All advice is appreciated .

Fit and feel of bike is very important. Walmart and ***** are terrible places to buy for this reason.

Have you peeked at used quality bikes? A cheap entry point if either ride does not work out.

Yes, used bikes sell extremely well. I sold a few on CL and even Goodwill gets some good ones in. Look for a quality make of bike, Giant, Trek, maybe Schwinn, Raleigh, etc...

How about going to the mall and walking for an hour till the weather improves.

If you are serious buy a decent entry level bike as mentioned not a box store special.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Yes, used bikes sell extremely well. I sold a few on CL and even Goodwill gets some good ones in. Look for a quality make of bike, Giant, Trek, maybe Schwinn, Raleigh, etc...

yup this. Let someone else eat the depreciation.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Fit and feel of bike is very important. Walmart and ***** are terrible places to buy for this reason.

Have you peeked at used quality bikes? A cheap entry point if either ride does not work out.

+1

There are some excellent mountain bikes circa the early 2000's out there, even the late 1990's. My bike retailed for about $1,500 in 2000, but the real value of it is about $250 now. My suggestion is to do some research on the best Shimano components and their competitor(s) and find out what type of biking you're looking to do. You might look at hybrid bikes and swap out treaded tires for smooth ones if you're going on paved trails or roads and look for a higher gear range for versatility.

My understanding is that the newer high end mountain bikes have cut out most of the higher chain rings and have gone down from 27-speeds to about 9-speeds for a more hardcore off-road mashing, so I'd avoid those for casual riding...

Since you really don't have any idea of what you want, go to a quality bike store and talk with some of the enthusiasts that work there. You can get a good feel for what you want, and (at least around here) they often have quality trade-ins that are serviced and ready to ride.

You should consider starting used, and if you really stick with it, moving up in a couple years. Otherwise you'll end up being one of the folks who spend a small fortune on a bike, just to put a few dozen miles on it and then park it in the garage.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Since you really don't have any idea of what you want, go to a quality bike store and talk with some of the enthusiasts that work there. You can get a good feel for what you want, and (at least around here) they often have quality trade-ins that are serviced and ready to ride.

You should consider starting used, and if you really stick with it, moving up in a couple years. Otherwise you'll end up being one of the folks who spend a small fortune on a bike, just to put a few dozen miles on it and then park it in the garage.

Sound advice.

You can even try out the new bikes there, see what size frame fits you, and what brand feels good. If the shop has no trade-ins, then you can watch for the brand you like and frame size on craigslist or ebay.

Bikes come in different frame sizes to fit different heights. My wife is tall and an avid bike rider. She spent some coin having one custom built for her but she rides it every weekend in nice weather. She keeps a cheap bike from Target at her parents house in Brooklyn. She rides it in Central Park.
I've seen uninformed adults in bikes stores. A bike shop employee explaining to a customer that you don't adjust the saddle height so you sit on it and put your feet down while stopped. Or people using the wheel size for the size of the bike. Good bike shops will offer you a test ride.

Road Bike or Upright Hybrid? That's the starting point. Doesn't sound like you need a Mountain Bike.

I've always preferred the better power position of the Road Bike. Bought my Raleigh 21 speed back in 2006 for $450 and finally wore sprockets and chain out 2 years ago after 10,000 miles. Cost to replace them all was really more than the bike would be worth when done $150-$200 tops). Most new decent brand, entry level road bikes now run $650-$750 and up (base Shimano Sora). If you want the 2nd level of Shimano quality that's up in the $800-$1,000 range. I just wanted to buy another new Raleigh for $450. No go though.

Started looking in CL's over a few weeks and went to a see a nearly brand new - barely used, but 5 year old GT series 4 - 16 speed road bike. Much lighter than the Raleigh with a carbon front fork and lighter wheels. Quite a different in handling and response. The GT ran about $700-$750 new. I paid $295. Had it since August and love it. If you look around you can find a quality nearly new road bike in the $200-$400 range. The dealers liquid stock from time to time so it's possible to buy a $750 road bike for $600 with discount...usually on line though. The downside is that you may still need a bike shop to set the bike up for you. Many bike shops will give you a free tune up each year with a full price purchase. A hybrid runs around $350-$450. You can find nice ones used for $125-$175. Try out various styles and sizes to ensure you get what feels good to you.

I went to see a couple of mint Raleigh 1976 road bikes. Owner wanted $150 for the pair. The ladies bike fit my wife perfectly and was a good deal imo. The men's bike was just too short for me. If you don't mind a rebuilt older bike (1970's to 1990's) you can find them in $150-$225 range. For the first 4 years I took up biking, I was just buying $5 to $25 bikes at yard sales and going through them in a year or so. Took me 4 years of that abuse to finally just buy a new bike.

I've had real good luck at the local dump. They have a clearance yard for used bikes. $5 each. They are usually missing a part or two and have some rust... But any BITOG'er should be able to fix them easy.

My BIL and I sourced one for his son's GF's kids. Took two $5 chassis to make a good one. A Trek aluminum frame with suspension for maybe $20 total
smile.gif

I just finished an Aria aluminum frame for the Grandbaby from there (well not baby, she's seven ...). Have maybe $30 in it with a tire. And I did a Trek 850 chrome molly frame 26" with an Italian leather saddle from same source for her mom when they visit next. That one I have over $100 in it as it needed all new cables and full set of front brakes. But it's very light and quick
laugh.gif

That's nothing compared to what a similar weight bike would cost new ... The WalMart bikes are OK for just around town. But if you want to really go anywhere, weight and bearing friction will be your enemies. That Trek 850 has THE smoothest and free'est bearings I have ever turned. And it is all light weight. WalMart bikes look cool until yu get into the details ...

I have been bicycle riding since I rode with the Reliegh team out of Kezar Cyclery back in the '60's on a Super Course (fine bike), and a Grand Prix as a daily trainer. My current dirt/gravel bike is an aluminum framed Trek, and my slick road bike now is lovely older Peugeot
smile.gif

I still have my 1957 Schwinn frame/forks. Don't know if I'll sell it, or do a resto-mod on it ...

Point being you need to rent some from reputable bike shops and see what you like? Cruiser, Mtn Bike, 10-Speed, whatever. Try them. A good bike shop will adjust their rental so you are riding well and you will soon see what appeals to you. THEN start shopping Craigslist, thrift stores, the Sheriffs auction, etc. You will turn up a couple of keepers for less than one new bike including you rental fees...
smile.gif

Recycling is good thing. All the money you spend on repairs and upgrades stays mostly in the local economy. Your local bike mechanic will become a friend of yours. When you finally decide to do the BIG $$ all carbon fiber super duper, they'll help you find a trade-in for 1/2. That'll still be $5 large, but it won't be $10 ...

Last edited:
You gotta buy at a bike shop to get proper fit,etc. Wasting your money to buy at a box store. Chromolly frame material is a softer ride than Aluminum.

I'd say that an "online" bike can be really good for your first bike. Just make sure that you read a lot online about how to select size(s), frame geometry etc.
I also recommend that you go for one of the more expensive ones. Trust me, you will only regret it later if you go for a simpler model.

Originally Posted By: Rudy1999 250
YOU can get a TREK for 600 and that is a nice one.. Heck i paid 400 for my Old Trek 820 25 years ago

This is what I bought my step-daughter last year for Christmas. I bought her a nice Trek bike around $500. They are great bikes and everyone has parts for them.

Do NOT buy a POS Walmart bike or something from ****'s if you can afford not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back