best bang for the buck scan tool/abs/srs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm working towards my technicians license and am looking to have a scan tool I can use for the next few years.

I've had some suggestions for snap on but even used is quite steep.

I know most dealerships supply their own diagnostics equipment.

If it's even worth owning one at this point,
What are the general thoughts on Innova, autel etc...

I'm looking at their higher end models that will graph, as well as read and clear most srs/air bag warnings.

Thanks for your help!

I have one of the Innovas that I just have for personal use. I've updated it a couple of times as I got newer cars and it continues to work great. It wasn't a ton of money. I feel I got my money's worth.

Autel MaxiDas is a pretty good scan tool that has many OE functions. Ive had one for about 3 years now and really no issues. I know Harbor freight sells the same one but not sure if its capability, mine was a bit more to get all the European makes.

Graphing is stupid. I have no need for a graph. Never needed "freeze frame" data either. The data comes in so slowly I'm not going to catch *whatever* makes it go transient lean, which doesn't happen much.

Best tool is a smartphone hidden in your toolbox so you can google "2002 camry P1349" or whatever and get the top common conditions that lead to that.

I have an innova 3160 that was the bee's knees (for its price point) six years ago or whatever. It comes with a promise of an upgrade but they delivered a 3160+ (or whatever) leaving me in the lurch. It does "some" ABS and airbag, mostly for domestics.

What you "need" is autoranging between the four protocols (ISO, VPW, CAN, and one other), I/M status, and live (generic) sensor data.

What gets expensive quick is 2-way communications (like activating an ABS pump to bleed) and non-emissions modules like body control modules. I'd use the dealer's computer for those jobs.

As the owner of about 14 scan tools including an expensive GM Tech2 and MDI as well as a few other manufacturer specific ones, I actually grab my Innova the most since it does what I need most of the time and is quick. When I need to do bi-directional testing, manufacture specific tests or programming modules - I'll grab the Tech2 or MDI for GM vehicles. The snap on models are just as overpriced as their hand tools and charge $1000 for upgrades so NOT worth it.

The Innova line up now has a PRO series which I think will give you an excellent bang for your buck. You can get them very cheap on ebay as well.

http://pro.innova.com/Product/Tools/

The 31603 is probably the best for you and I've seen for MUCH less than the MSRP price.

Thanks a ton guys. Sorry for the delay.

I've been eyeing the Innova and autel stuff, mainly the 3150e and 3160e with the euro programs and abs/srs

Thanks for the replies...iit's given me lots of info.

I got me an Autel Al619 last week. $99 off amazon.

It clears my infiniti SRS and a acura SRS light with no issue. We removed the pass seat for some cleaning so just needed it cleared.

It does ABS too but have not used it. I did use it for a Camry o2 sensor and saw the voltage that flatlined. Make my diag very easy.

Is graphing a useful function in a scan tool? I was looking at the Launch CReader 5+ and it can graph 2 data streams with a 2fps refresh rate. The tool is around $88 at Autozone (but much cheaper on Amazon, for counterfeits).

http://launchtechusa.com/cr5plus/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back