Mobil Super Syn 0w20 - 9,829 miles - CX5 w/ 2.5l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CaspianM
Originally Posted By: bigt61
IMO - the early switch from FF didn't help the oil ring break-in - that's why you have dilution. I'd run some semi-synthetic for a few oil changes - follow the OLM & Keep it topped off. Then go back to full synthetic.

Early oil change is not really meant to break-in the compression rings. Rings would break-in by the time engine has less than 50 miles on it regardless of oil change. Or it is completely missed by then.
This kind of fuel dilution is usually as a result of improper warm up/too much idling before sampling.

Classic "Blame the victim" response. Sure, idling can contribute to dilution but it is fundamentally a part of the design of most DI engines. My Honda is a good example: FF left in for 5,000 miles, lots of attention to proper break-in, no idling to speak of, still turns in >5% dilution after a 400 mile Interstate drive. Maybe none of this matters in terms of durability, but I can't help think most DI owners have been duped.

My point was 1st thing is again "Usually" to make sure sampling is done right. It is easy to correct. Then you can blame the design all you want.
The only way you would know for sure it is the DI design if all have the issue.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: CaspianM
Originally Posted By: bigt61
IMO - the early switch from FF didn't help the oil ring break-in - that's why you have dilution. I'd run some semi-synthetic for a few oil changes - follow the OLM & Keep it topped off. Then go back to full synthetic.

Early oil change is not really meant to break-in the compression rings. Rings would break-in by the time engine has less than 50 miles on it regardless of oil change. Or it is completely missed by then.
This kind of fuel dilution is usually as a result of improper warm up/too much idling before sampling.

Classic "Blame the victim" response. Sure, idling can contribute to dilution but it is fundamentally a part of the design of most DI engines. My Honda is a good example: FF left in for 5,000 miles, lots of attention to proper break-in, no idling to speak of, still turns in >5% dilution after a 400 mile Interstate drive. Maybe none of this matters in terms of durability, but I can't help think most DI owners have been duped.

It probably doesn't matter for durability - the OP's #s looked pretty good for almost a 10k run on a new motor. It will be interesting to see if the dilution #s go down as the engine is fully broken in - say after 50k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back