Continental releases the ExtremeContact Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a max performance summer tire, and the replacement for the old ExtremeContact DW. North America-only,

The new ExtremeContact Sport has a 30k warranty (the DW had no treadwear warranty). The UTQG rating is 340-AA-A. It is available in more sizes than the DW was. And it still has those DW wear indicators in the tread
smile.gif

According to another poster on here, this is the cheap max performance tire designed to compete with the cheap brands and not quite as good as the ContiSportContact line, or Michelin's Pilot Super Sport series. The ExtremeContact line is North America-only, and the new EC Sport is no exception.

I think they should've branded it as a General (Conti's mid-tier US-market tire brand), and then that way Conti could actually sell us the ContiSportContact series under their own name. What are your thoughts?

Continental ExtremeContact Sport

co_extremecontact_spt_pdpfullexpand.jpg

Originally Posted By: dblshock
is this the one where when the 'W' wears off they recomend dry only?

Looking at the above tread image, I would say yes.

is this the one where when the 'W' wears off they recomend dry only?

Yes, it is
thumbsup2.gif

Looking good.

Just as I am debating returning to summer tires on my car, this appears to be another viable option to consider.

I would consider it as a wet tire for track days. I have a set of previous-gen DWS Conti's that I have used for wet track tires, and they are quite good. Dry grip is horrible, but I have a set of 200 treadwear dry tires for that.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I would consider it as a wet tire for track days. I have a set of previous-gen DWS Conti's that I have used for wet track tires, and they are quite good. Dry grip is horrible, but I have a set of 200 treadwear dry tires for that.

DW or DWS?
These are DW replacement.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss

DW or DWS?
These are DW replacement.

Krzys

The tires I currently have are DWS, but I would consider the new DW as replacements. I think the lower treadwear of 340 may make them a faster tire than the 540 on the DWS.

The tires I currently have are DWS, but I would consider the new DW as replacements. I think the lower treadwear of 340 may make them a faster tire than the 540 on the DWS.

DW is a summer tire. DWS is an all-season tire, so yeah, that's kind of like apples and oranges...
smile.gif

outside of December here I've run the Civic on stock Conti ProContact TX all winter and they've been good on snow but I'm going to a summer tire toward April til November..love the global warming thing.

Last edited:
but I'm going to a summer tire toward April til November..

I'm starting to lean that way, too.

For the past number of years I ran UHP all-seasons April-Nov, thinking that I'll be getting longer treadlife (as compared to summer only tires). This ended up not being the case.

I ran a set of Firestone Indy 500 Wide Oval summer tires all year long for ~22K miles (no tread wear rating). New, these had great dry and wet traction. As they aged, they really were best for dry and really above 35°F. Don't even attempt to run them in any kind of snow/sleet or you will be sorry.

If I were in the market for summer tires, I'd likely give these a shot for sure if the price is right.

I have run the ExtremeContact DW tires on my Saab Viggen convertible for the past two years. This is a summer only vehicle and the tires probably have only 7500 miles of use. I am very satisfied with these for my needs, although I was fairly certain the DW did come with a tread life warranty when I bought them in the Spring of 2015 - one of the reasons I chose them over other competing tires.

I had an intense dislike for the original DW. On another vehicle I have a set of DWS-06s that have been great. So I don't know if I would buy these or not. In my size, Pilot Super Sports are less than 1k for four, for the money they are hard to beat, and not worth experimenting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
In my size, Pilot Super Sports are less than 1k for four, for the money they are hard to beat, and not worth experimenting.

I've read somewhere that Michelin will be releasing a new version of these soon, too.

Just ordered two of these new Contis to replace my two worn out bridgestones. Next year I'll get two more, if I still have the car then.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I had an intense dislike for the original DW. On another vehicle I have a set of DWS-06s that have been great.

My experience with Conti has been somewhat of a mixed bag as well. The CSC2 on my old A4 were great... perfect balance between comfort and performance for a daily driver, and no tramlining. But then I took them to a track event and pretty much destroyed them.
smile.gif

Then there was the original DWS on wife's C300. They had a lot of sidewall flex, so handling was rather poor. Now, that would have been acceptable if they offered great winter capabilities in return, but I was not impressed with their snow/winter performance either. On top of that, they wore out fairly quickly and became somewhat noisy.

Wife's Q5 came with ContiCrossContact LX Sport. Not great. Not terrible. Just what you'd expect from an OEM tire, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back