Recommendation for F80/F82/F83 M3/M4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I''ve got a new daily, this being a BMW F82 M4, the car has covered around 14000 miles by me from new since late 2015, I'm now running a stage 1 tune along with an Akrapovic Evolution system, I'm soon going to go stage 2 by removing the cats.

At the moment it's putting out around the 500BHP mark with around 700 nm of torque, stage 2 adds around another 20 or so BHP.

I'd like you guys to recommend me an oil, I'm in the U.K. which is LL04 territory but am not fussed as I'm tuned, I just want the best protection/wear resistance for the engine.

Was thinking of a 0W-40 oil such as Mobil 1 New Life but as this is being phased out and its successor not officially meeting LL01 as of yet, I was leaning toward 8100 X-Max 0W-40.

I have read the S55B30T0 motor used in these models was developed using a 0W-30, how accurate that is, I'm unsure. BMW's own twin-power turbo oil seems to come in various viscosities depending on region, not sure what they use at the dealer here in the U.K. viscosity wise.

Irrespective of this, I'd really appreciate some recommendations on a solid choice to use on a tuned car.

Thanks to all in advance.

Not sure if you have a Costco account but they have lots of Mobil1 0w40 New Life at £30/5 litres, or certainly they did in the Cardiff store! Might be worth stocking up?

Only know because I've been eyeing up the Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 0w40 oil for my Focus which is the same price!

Thanks to each and everyone of you for the valued input. I'll go with Castrol Edge 0W-40.
Really appreciate every word on this thread. Thanks people!

Also, just to clarify, we are talking about Edge 0w-40 A3/B4. Over there in Europe you guys probably have multiple versions of Edge 0w-40...

I just did the second oil change on my 2015 BMW M3 using edge 0w-40 A3/B4

once at 10k and again at 20k. first change at 1200 miles was done by dealership.

no oil consumption. at least not according to the level sensors.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a better oil in terms of performance and value. Castrol EDGE 0W-40 is where it's at!

Originally Posted By: dparm
Is the BMW-branded 0w40 (made by Shell) priced reasonably for you? It should be a good oil.

No such thing. The BMW 0W40 is made by Castrol, and that is why they have discontinued it and no longer producing it or distributing it. All warehouses no longer carry it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
I don't think there is a better oil in terms of performance and value. Castrol EDGE 0W-40 is where it's at!

Agreed. It is what goes in my modified 135.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Is the BMW-branded 0w40 (made by Shell) priced reasonably for you? It should be a good oil.

No such thing. The BMW 0W40 is made by Castrol, and that is why they have discontinued it and no longer producing it or distributing it. All warehouses no longer carry it.

It was made by Shell, but you are right, it's no longer available....that was certainly a short-lived product.

I know it was a Shell product because it uses the newer Shell bottles and is GTL.

It was made by Shell, but you are right, it's no longer available....that was certainly a short-lived product.

I know it was a Shell product because it uses the newer Shell bottles and is GTL.

Ah, OK. Any links to this? Figured it was left over Castrol stock. Tried to get it from my local dealer. They are out, and BMW does not have it anymore.

When I first saw it I was excited. A 0W40 made by Shell that was LL-01, a product that Shell does not sell directly. Seemed like unicorn tears.

Last edited:
So what is BMW using in its M-cars now? Their TwinPower Turbo LL-01 5W-30? Or did they go back to 10W-60?

So what is BMW using in its M-cars now? Their TwinPower Turbo LL-01 5W-30? Or did they go back to 10W-60?

0W30, alternate is 5W30.

0W30, alternate is 5W30.

I thought BMW's 0W-30 was the lower HTHS, LL-01 "FE", variant. I would be surprised if they used that in an M engine, but could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back