Higher viscosity & higher wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point. It's full synthetic too, so I might just do that. Just the mental note that "Ow oils are always made from better base oils than 5w or 10w" didn't let me even consider 5w20 until now.

I always prefered 40wt. But now slowly turning into 20wt follower... Will do more UOAs in the future, just to see if I can replicate the results. But for now 0w20 seems to be the better option for my particular engine...

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why not run the 5W-20 Magnetec? N.C, doesn't get Arctic cold.

Even without Arctic cold, most 0w20's I have come across are superior to 5w20s.

Keep in mind it takes heat to activate some additives. In this I would belive that could weather causes more wear, and would attribute none of it to viscosity.

Originally Posted By: CT8
"None of 5 walmarts around me carry Magnatec 0w20"

I wonder if there are any other stores besides Walmart that sell oil there?

Originally Posted By: jayg

I wonder if there are any other stores besides Walmart that sell oil there?

Bunch of stores that sell oil. None that sell Castrol Magnatec 0w20, unfortunately. Haven't checked Napa stores though...

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Keep in mind it takes heat to activate some additives. In this I would belive that could weather causes more wear, and would attribute none of it to viscosity.

During the combustion process engine generates pretty high temperatures and keeps the oil at over 100 Celsius. Would an outside temperature of no lower than 20F really cool off the oil in a running engine enough to deactivate some of the additives?

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Originally Posted By: Dyusik

During the combustion process engine generates pretty high temperatures and keeps the oil at over 100 Celsius. Would an outside temperature of no lower than 20F really cool off the oil in a running engine enough to deactivate some of the additives?

I believe he's implying that the additives would take longer to activate upon first startup, leading to more start-up wear.

None of 5 walmarts around me carry Magnatec 0w20, and Edge 0w20 doesn't have the magical "clinging" thingies that magnatec advertises, which I believe to be the reason for the low wear numbers.
You can order the 0-20 Magnatec online from WM and have it shipped free to to your local WM.

The Scion/Toyota engine is aluminum, right? So the iron is mostly from the valvetrain, isn't it? How much difference is there between these two oils in terms of how long it takes them to get full flow to the valvetrain in cold weather?

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
The Scion/Toyota engine is aluminum, right? So the iron is mostly from the valvetrain, isn't it? How much difference is there between these two oils in terms of how long it takes them to get full flow to the valvetrain in cold weather?

All with iron cylinder liners. Few aluminum blocks are without liners, my old BMW M60 is one but that isn't too common.

Originally Posted By: Garak
No trending, different oils, and so forth. This is the trouble we come across when we try to equate metal parts per million with wear levels.

This is exactly correct.

If I had to make an educated guess on a short interval the thinner oil would show a slightly better performance.

I would do a comp with a 0w-40 and monitor the number of cold starts before you can really reach a conclusion and you could also make an argument is the small difference statistically significant I.e. the difference could have been caused from residual oil from the last oil change

Originally Posted By: kschachn

All with iron cylinder liners.

Oh, okay. Reduced flow at the ring-cylinder interface is an additional area to consider.

None of 5 walmarts around me carry Magnatec 0w20, and Edge 0w20 doesn't have the magical "clinging" thingies that magnatec advertises, which I believe to be the reason for the low wear numbers.

The only place I can find Magnatec around here is at Napa you might what to try Napa Online they can often ship it in to a store close to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back