12 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed out the alternator in the Caprice after work this afternoon...wife told me last night that there was a noise...checked with the serp belt off, and and the alternator was partially locking every couple of hand turns...she drove it around town today to shop and get a new one.

12 minutes from the time I walked out the front door toolboxx in hand to the time I got back in to drop the tool box inside for a test run (car was running at that point).

Amazing how focussed you can be in the rain.

Thanks to Holden for installing the L67 longitudinally in the Caprice also.

Nah, Holden made it real easy...

IMG_0549small_mace-1.jpg

just shy of 20 minutes...on a Saturday evening...

Coming into Nashville between Chicago and Florida I got a flat tire on Saturday @ 5pm...
The time span from the time I pulled off the highway onto the feeder road where I found an indie tire repair shop....to back on the highway after their plug/patch repair...

They charged me $10 and they got a $10 tip for beers all around!

Last edited:
1972 Toyota Corolla de Luxe (1600 cc 2-TC engine)

The alternator light came on IN FRONT of a starter/alternator rebuild shop on 9th Ave. in NYC.

At that time there were real New Yorkers on 9th Ave. It's "all" yuppie bars and restaurants now. Nothing bad, just less usable to someone like me.

I exited the car with tools, raised the hood and removed the alternator.

The proprietor was standing next to me with a rebuild and handed it to me like an OR nurse.

Hood down. I swear it didn't take 4 minutes.

CONFESSION: I did not carefully adjust the V belt's tension.

Sounds like the Flat tire scene from "A Christmas Story" .

^^ Exactly what I thought....hope you didn't drop any bolts...LOL!

thumbsup2.gif
All hail access, competence and rain!

No one can do that on a transverse mounted V6!

Thats why I love the older rx7's. The alternator is the top front of the motor. its not even a 10 minute swap. a 12mm socket and wrench is all that is needed. The alternator is the tensioner. Undo the tension bolt, undo the bottom bolt. Put the new alternator on and call it a day. My first alternator change on mine was 10 minutes including the drive to and from Autozone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back