New AEM panel air filter, is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you can see, the filter is still in the wrapper. I'm guessing the red spots are just bleed through from the dye?? Also, if you look along the bottom of the filter, the black stuff (glue??) is up quite high on the filter. I'm use to paper filters or cone aftermarket filters. Does this all look normal?? Thanks

It doesn't look abnormal to me although that is a cotton gauze media filter which will let much wear causing dirt into your engine than the oem filter will.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It doesn't look abnormal to me although that is a cotton gauze media filter which will let much wear causing dirt into your engine than the oem filter will.

The AEM Dryflow is not a an oiled media filter. It's filtering efficiency is at least as good as OEM.

You will note that AEM Dryflow is nowhere on the test you posted.

Only strange thing I see there is that it is not red like every one I have bought.

These are still very similar to the K&N filters. Aem publishes an ISO 5011 test for their filter comparing it to the AC Delco equivalent and in this test the AC Delco filtered 99.96% efficiency vs the Dry Flows 98.19.

This might not sound like a lot but it's a big difference in the number of grams of dust your engine will be forced to eat over the life of the filter and after cleaning the efficiency may drop.

Also keep in mind this is the coarse dust test which means it will perform much worse on the fine dust test.

Originally Posted By: Randy_270
As you can see, the filter is still in the wrapper. I'm guessing the red spots are just bleed through from the dye?? Also, if you look along the bottom of the filter, the black stuff (glue??) is up quite high on the filter. I'm use to paper filters or cone aftermarket filters. Does this all look normal?? Thanks

Yes, it all looks normal.

Here are some pics of one of my new AEM 28-20387 Dryflow filters (5.7L V-8 gasoline engine) still in the wrapper:

Inlet side (toward outside air):
AEMinlet_13MAR17_zpsniu3yh1s.jpg

Outlet side (toward engine):
AEMoutlet1_13MAR17_zpsya4p1h7u.jpg

Close-up of outlet side:
AEMoutlet2_13MAR17_zpsmbjgqcjy.jpg

HTH

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back