Cars I wanted but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets see, it was 1965,,yep I wanted a GTO,4sp,389. A Camero , a 70 or 72 Olds Cutless, really any auto of the mid to late 60s that was hot. I did have a 72 Monte Carlo, that was nice. Its my own fault,,never did after the 72 Monte Carlo have what I would have called a
50.gif
hot ride so to speak,,,,,,kids came along and so on...well life goes on and and I'm over that now,,,,notttttttttttttttttttttttt....Oh, now the Harley 96

sportster I still have, yes , I will crank it up and let it rip,,,I've got to get over that,,,old and still rolling at 71..............

I remember, right around the time that I turned 21, these came out, and I saw one with the LSC package, and dealer-installed ground-effects...

SpeedStar_LSC2.jpg

It was from that point on that I wanted one, but for obvious reasons, could never even come close to affording one.

Nowadays, I see them occasionally, and sometimes even find one for sale in good condition, but I'm just not sure I can justify buying one. Seems to me the upkeep would be huge.

I had a desire for those 60's era muscle cars too. So in 1992-1999 when they were starting to get fairly cheap again I went through a number of them:

1969 roadrunner 4 speed,55K miles
1968 GTX convertible 4 speed
1969 GTX automatic, blue, original paint, 75K miles
1969 SuperBee 50K miles, automatic, original paint
1970 Challenger RT 440/6 automatic
1970 Coronet RT convertible automatic
1969 roadrunner convertible automatic
1969 GTX automatic, 42K mi, mostly orig paint, bronze

1966 Lincoln with suicide doors. I would die a happy man.
1973 Ford Bronco had one in High School, wish I never sold it

Oh and that car that Magnum P.I. drove. I think it was a Ferrari 308 GTB?

I guess i am a man of simple tastes..
If i won the lotto, the cars i would buy are:
1)Late 90's Ford Ranger
2)early 80's G-Body Cutlass
3)2000+ Panther(CVPI,Grand Marquis,Marauder)

and I'd Likely swap a ford 3.5 Cyclone V6(not the Eco Boost) into each, Likely with the 6r80

I wanted a 1966 Chevelle SS396 when the new body style came out in September of 1965. I was 13 years old and rode my bike to the Chevy dealer to see them in person. I had to wait until 1969 but then I bought a used Marina Blue 66 SS396 for $1,200 when I was 17 years old. I'm so glad I bought that car, and almost 50 years later, I regret ever selling it. I also owned a 65 Plymouth Barracuda and a 1987 Buick Grand National, but the Chevelle has always been special. If I had all the money in the world, I would probably buy a 1967 427 Corvette with the stinger hood...3x2's, 435HP version...in Burgundy and black.

When i turned 16 in 1969 I wanted a Z28 Camero. The night before my 16th birthday I dreamed that my parents bought me the Camaro. I jumped out of bed and ran to the garage and yes,,no Camaro. I still remember the dream.

993 Turbo was my dream car in high school. With the way prices are going, I think it will stay that way unless i can find one that needs major engine.

67 AH 3000. Always wanted one but never bought one. Way out of my price range today.

Haven't owned any yet, but some on my "some day" list:

'66-67 Nova, 2- or 4-door, probably SS trim, 283 or 327 w/4 speed.
Most any C3 convertible Corvette
'70 Chevelle 454
JK Wrangler 2-door
Deuce and a half
Honda CB/CL450 twin

In no particular order...
Triumph TR3A
BMW 1800ti
BMW 3.0CS
BMW M1
Lotus Seven
Lotus Turbo Esprit
Jensen Interceptor
1970 Boss 302
1970 Camaro Z/28 RS
Lamborghini Espada
Citroen SM
Aston Martin DB7

Still, I consider myself to be extremely fortunate to own(or have owned) several very entertaining cars. I have been especially blessed with a wife who accepts my automotive obsessions(and hates boring cars as much as I do).

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
'87 Buick GNX

Couldn't afford one when I was 13...... 30 years later and I still can't afford one. 😕

In '87 I bought a new T-Type....gunmetal grey with a grey interior...beautiful car and fast...wouldn't want one today though, I want a C5 Vette now...

As a kid in the 90's about the only car I wanted was a 1970.5 Camaro. Liked the looks of that one. I had respect for the turbo GNX, though.

Some great post guys, glad to see there are alot of 60s car folks here,,boy, the days of V8s and that rumble they made,,,no sewing machine cars much in those days....................

Buick Grand National or GNX. I was in high school when they were new in the showrooms and were cheap! If only I could go back and buy one.

My misspent street racing youth happened in the mid to late '70s- when big block musclecars were a dime a dozen. I had a lot of fun, but I still think that today is the "Golden Age" of high performance cars. I have a 1991 magazine that is a compilation of several road tests from the old Hi-Performance Cars magazine. The fastest 1/4 mile was a 12.5 posted by Joe Oldham's 1969 Motion Performance big block Camaro- with uncapped headers and slicks. Aside from that car most of the others put up ETs in the 13.5-14.5 second range. Those times are on the slow side of average for performance cars these days. My 2007 MS3 was no ball of fire but it could run in the low 14 second range all day long- and that's with a 2.3 liter turbo that averaged 26+ mpg over the 8 years and 158,000 miles I had it. My dead stock 2er runs in the high twelves.
Don't get me wrong,; I love a lot of the high performance iron of the '60's and early '70s- but today we can have it all.

The Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo came out when I was 5 years old, and it was the first car I ever wanted. I believe it was because I loved my mom's Nissan Maxima. Many years later, I read the May 1998 issue of Sport Compact Car which taught me about how EFI works. I saw a picture of the Nissan R34 GT-R and was stunned by the looks of it. I wanted to see them sold in the USA, but it never happened. Although I like the 2008-up Nissan GT-R, I don't like it as much as the R34 because of the way the front end looks, the paddle shift transmission, and the V6 engine.

Anyway, some of the other cars I want:
A variety of Audi RS models. This was inspired because a 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T was my first new car, and it made me love VW and other German car manufacturers.
A variety of BMW M models.
Porsche 911
Every kind of Ford GT350 and GT500. they looked great and had amazing power
1st generation Dodge Viper. I loved the enormous vents on the sides. When later models had much smaller vents, they didn't look like Dodge Vipers to me anymore.
MKIV Toyota Supra
Almost every turbocharged AWD rally car ever built. I saw some in the May 1998 issue of Sport Compact Car where I read about the EFI in the Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo and the existence of the Nissan R34 GT-R
1978 Corvette Pace Car. The C4, C5, and C6 looked bland and too similar to each other. I would rather buy a different C3 Corvette, make a tribute car, and replace the awful carb'd smog engine with a good EFI engine that can still be smog legal.
1st Gen Camaro
Pontiac SD455
Also, I would like to have a few heavily modified mechanical diesel vehicles to prep for the apocalypse.

EDIT: I also want a Dukes Of Hazard tribute car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back