Mixing oils on 2015 Acura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming up on an oil change and was wondering if there is any problem cleaning my garage out by mixing 3 pennzoil gold 0w20 and 2-3 Mobil full syn 0w20?

I run them 5k.

Until I got some gold on clearance I didn't even know they made blends in 0w20!

I probably wouldn't mix my oil. Especially on a 15 Acura. Now I would switch brands after every OCI. Sometimes additives of oil A don't play all that great with oil B.

57060699.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Why not just buy more of each oil and have enough for your next change?

You're going to buy more oil anyway...

Good answer. This makes the most sense.

MSS and Pennz gold should be no problem as they have similar add packs.

Mobil 1 is a different story. Very different add pack than Pennzoils. You'll end up with an add pack that's weaker on everything except maybe boron/moly. Nothing is gonna break. It's just not ideal.

I been mixing or switching syns for yrs in my civic with no issues at 202k! I never noticed any differences in mpg or performance

I have a good mixture of oils in my truck now but thats because its old and I needed to use up some random oil laying around. I wouldnt do it in a modern engine but I doubt it would cause any harm

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Why not just buy more of each oil and have enough for your next change?

You're going to buy more oil anyway...

yeah - or just buy the M1 needed and keep the Pennzoil for top off.

New API and ACEA standards are coming out, and one of the fundamental tests that needs passing is "nothing blew up".

Rest assured that your mix will pass that test...not necessarily any of the others that are listed on ether oil jug, but nothing will blow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back