92 Corvette...Your thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the goal? Something to play with? show? hot-rod?

Low rust, that is good. LT1, I recall that being something of a one-off motor. Reverse coolant flow? opti-spark? Should be a 4L60, not a bad trans.

The water pump like to leak on the optispark distributor on these and kills it, check for leaks regularly. They make decent toys!

I love that body style, beautiful and timeless. Looks like it is in excellent shape too.

Depreciation curve is pretty much done at 25 yrs old. So as long as the mileage isn't piled on, should hold its value decently above $10K. Not a bad car for a toy. A similar LT1 Firebird/Camaro would probably run about 8K. Similar LS1 Firebird/Camaro ('98-'02) would run about $10K. All similarly priced, fun toys. You might be better served with the later LS1 but I see no big concerns with this '92 Vette other than the automatic transmission will be as in demand.

Those early LT1 optisparks were problematic, the later ones were definitely better but that is a relative statement. Even if you have a good one, if the water pump goes, and it will, you no longer have a good one. Luckily I never had a problem with my opti, which is good because they are pricey, many of the aftermarket ones are of questionable quality, and its a good bit of surgery to get to.

About eight years ago I paid $1000 more for my '96 that had fewer miles than this one. But he was unemployed and desperate and I took advantage of that. This one looks like its in super shape. The price is probably about right. But it still has an optispark....

I would never talk anyone out of a C4, I can only give my experience of what mine was like. Fairly reliable, though it did nickle and dime a bit at times. EGR valve, temperature sensor, fuel pump, tie rods, rotors, rear wheel bearings, power seat motor... all before it had 50,000 miles. None of which was difficult to get locally, none of it difficult to replace, and none of it was expensive at all, however tires for the beast were NOT cheap.

Drove fairly nice. Tramlined over every little crack in the pavement, which I found annoying but got used to. With the glass top removed the body wiggled and jiggled over bumps like a wet noddle. Didnt handle as well as I expected it to. Average brakes. The glass top also let an annoying amount of sunlight and heat in on hot days. Was not easy to get in and out of.

Nice exhaust rumble. Gobs of torque. Nice interior layout, was very comfortable (once you fell into it... see previous paragraph). Got excellent MPG considering how much power was on tap. Very nice stereo. It was a beauty and it cleaned up very nicely.

Hope this helps. C4's have their fans but if I get Corvette fever again it will be a C5 or newer. I've driven a few and I liked them a lot better.

I had 2 LT1 cars ('93 Trans Am, '95 Trans Am). They were at 55K and 75K miles when I sold them in the 1990's. They were trouble free for the years that I had them. Both were a joy to ride. I would imagine the C4 Vette was probably overall quite a bit better. I also had a '98 Z28 LS1 from 22K to 115K miles. Also pretty much trouble free except for a rear differential seal drip.

c3-c4 era....absolute garbage typical GM [censored]....hey you wanted opinions correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Love that style. AT kills it for me, but maybe not for you. Doesnt look rusty (except a littlesurface coloration), but it looks a bit too corroded to have only seen rain twice and having been garaged all the time.

Not sure its a deal breaker though. I dont know the right valuation of these though...

Sitting in a garage during Pennsylvania winters can still take a toll on an undercarriage, especially with a bare concrete floor. The underside of that looks pretty darn rust free to me for 20 yrs old and 46K miles. My '99 Camaro has 18K miles and sits during northeast winters so I have some frame of reference.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Love that style. AT kills it for me, but maybe not for you. Doesnt look rusty (except a littlesurface coloration), but it looks a bit too corroded to have only seen rain twice and having been garaged all the time.

Not sure its a deal breaker though. I dont know the right valuation of these though...

My wife wouldn't want a Vette with an automatic. Most vette buyers imo are divorced white guys 50+ looking
to be a sugar daddy.

Doesn't look bad at all, I think these will start to appreciate, and the nicer ones will definitely get a premium. Probably not a bad investment at all, keep the miles down and you may see a return in a few years! Id have a knowledgeable shop look it over before buying it, its deifnetly worth the $100 to have an idea of whats to come.

Looks like a lot of money for that year / model. At least around here. Maybe they sell for more in the US?

My co-worker was selling his low mileage 50th Anniversary model for $8000 or best offer, and I believe he didn't get his asking price. I see a lot of 70's vettes locally for about $US 5000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back