kerosene heater question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I got a new dyna glo kerosene heater to warm the main living space of my apartment (1200 sf, so quite sizable) when Im home. The heat pump and ducting stinks bigtime, and is more or less a waste of money in operation. Its a shame that I have no choice but to use it for AC, but in the winter, I figure Id augment and minimize the use.

I got my heater, set it up, let the wick absorb fuel, etc. All was well. I got it started, extinguished it, repeated same a few times, and then let it burn outside for a good long while to let the oils and whatnot burn off, per the instructions.

One thing that I noticed however is that when I extinguish it, there is a slight flame at the bottom that is 'noisy' (I hear it pulling/gasping air) and very jumpy. It is quite small, multi-colored whiteish bluish, and doesnt do much, but its there after Ive extinguished the system. How long should such a flame last? Mine is there for about 30 seconds... I dont know if this is good or bad, and if its bad, how to fix it.

Also, Ive noticed that using it inside makes a slightly stinky interior of my apartment. Ive tried cracking a window, but without flow, it doesnt do much... When I shut down the unit, especially them it gives off some more odorous offgas. I know better now to take the thing outside when Im done using it and turn it off - but is there any other good way to keep much odor from coming off, especially after shutdown? I use crystal clear kerosene and have the flame adjusted perfectly per the instructions - red with a tiny blue peak coming from the top.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

JMH

The smell is going to be there, as a child that was the heat we had, that and a fireplace. Using a scented candle will help. Most important is remember that they are an unvented heater and produce alot of gases that will kill you. We used to have houses that leaked air, with todays sealed houses be careful. Get a CO2 detector, they are only about 40 or 50 bucks and it may save your life. I can remember putting that five gallon can in my wagon and going to the corner gas station and getting five gallons of kerosene for less than a buck.

Yeah, I dont run mine for long for that very reason... the thing gets really hot (good), so the area warms up nicely, and it isnt the primary heat source no matter what... I do keep a watch on CO to be sure, and typically run a bathroom fan to at least have some air throughput.

Thanks!

JMH

The Toyotomi I use gives of very little smell or noise and has worked wonderfully for years.

My guess is the wick is not adjusted properly, and since all kerosene heaters sold in the U.S. have pinned wicks now, you can not adjust it.
Toyotomi/Kerosun heaters are the Cadillac of kerosene heaters, but are no longer exported to the U.S. might find one on e-bay.

Yea that can happen. Some times with a new wick it won't go down all the way. Hold the trip lever down and while holding it down rotate the knob in the counter-clockwise direction to make sure its down all the way.

Its a pain but if you can turn it off and light it outside that helps-difficult-I know. Also don't let it burn outside in the cold or even keep it outside for more than a few minutes. You will get condensation in the kerosene and it can ruin the wick.

My first run was outside, per the directions - to let it offgas. Ill keep it inside from now on.

You said if possible to light and turn it off outside - this IS possible for me. No odors other than after shutoff, so this would be advantageous... but not to pick on your wording too much - is it OK to turn it off outside, though it will be getting colder at that point than any time when there actually is a flame? You mention to not let it burn outside, and sure there is a lot more mass flow of fuel going through, but I could anticipate some condensation even at shutdown... Is it too little to worry about?

Thanks,

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back