Firestone's Firehawk Indy500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran them on my '12 Kia Optima SX. They had very good warm weather (Summer tires) traction (good and "sticky"), were fine in the rain but were not for even the limited winter we have here in East TN. I faithfully rotated/balanced every 5K miles and did 4-wheel alignments about the same. They wear evenly, but got noisier as they aged. They worn down to the wear bars in ~22K miles (DD car). I was disappointed in the longevity of these tires. YMMY. I would not buy them again and replaced them with Conti PureContact tires (very pleased with these so far).

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
I ran them on my '12 Kia Optima SX. They had very good warm weather (Summer tires) traction (good and "sticky"), were fine in the rain but were not for even the limited winter we have here in East TN. I faithfully rotated/balanced every 5K miles and did 4-wheel alignments about the same. They wear evenly, but got noisier as they aged. They worn down to the wear bars in ~22K miles (DD car). I was disappointed in the longevity of these tires. YMMY. I would not buy them again and replaced them with Conti PureContact tires (very pleased with these so far).

Seems like a really soft tire with 0 warranty mileage. Might even be a tire never designed to be exposed to be below 32ºF.

Probably great for a light track tire.

this is a second set on oem rims so just a 2.5 season here...feedback was good on wear also were you tough on them? were they the Indy 500 model?

Last edited:
I had a pair on my Ranger. They actually were very grippy in dry conditions. Hard braking would nearly make the truck stand on its toes.

there's actually two models, Indy 500 and wide oval Indy 500 the former being a newer version.

I have the Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 tires 245/50-16 on my 99 Trans am. Different tread pattern and probable different tread compound, but they have held up well. Quiet ride, good dry grip, tire minimizes road surface caused noise, balanced well - maintained balance at 15, 000+ miles. Never tried them in the rain or on snow. Overall I'd say they are a good moderate priced summer performance tire.

Looks like these tires were just released in May 2016...so some reviews you may read, not the ones on here of course,
may be for an earlier model Firestone. They look like an excellent tire.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
there's actually two models, Indy 500 and wide oval Indy 500 the former being a newer version.

Very true. I should have noted that mine were the Wide Oval Indy 500 variety.

bought a set of 4 delivered $422 225/50/17, crazy and all the gearheads seem to love them.

22k seems fair for a high performance summer tire.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

22k seems fair for a high performance summer tire.

That may be true but I wasn't in the market for summer tires. I wanted something with at least a 50K+ mileage rating. They were the "only" tires that fit my car at my local tire store when the condition of my stock tires (which lasted about 27K miles) was brought to my attention. The fault is MINE for not putting the purchase off, doing my research and choosing a better option (like TireRack, etc.) since what I really needed was all season tires. Again, that one was on me.

If someone is looking for some really sticky summer tires, these may be the ones to get.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Tirerack had these Indy 500's ranked #1 Ultra High Performance Summer and a 8.9 for wear...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP

on and on read the reviews...

3,000 Miles on Tires
October 21, 2016
I can not believe the night and day difference compared to my all season stock tires that the car came with. I wish I had opted for UHP tires sooner, but then I wouldn't have ever got these babies. I am also thoroughly impressed with the improved economy on this tire. The car is also extremely grippy in the wet. They have such a great look and really shouldn't be overlooked of you're in the market for a dedicated summer tire. The price is right and its a great brand. Will definitely buy again.

Bought a fresh take off set of Enkei Honda Civic Touring (OEM) rims and these tires mounted and balanced $1,250.00 after everything, hoping to get 2 seasons 14 months 42k..never tracked but know right where to take them when the deer aren't moving.

some reviews were 30k and wear rated 8.9 anyway, I'm pretty easy, never dream of drifting through turns..we'll see I guess

This newer generation of Firehawk should be good. Keep in mind that it's Bridgestone technology where there is plenty of high performance experience with their Potenza line. In my Camaro world (245 and 275 low profile 20"), this is the only tire B/F made available. Apparently, their marketing people think American muscle cars should have only Firestone brand tires on them. The previous version wasn't worth buying. Personally, I'm glad to see this new generation getting good reviews as it gives me a realistic alternative at reasonable cost. Now, can I trust Firestone Complete Care with my 10" wheels???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back