hydraulic fluid for boom lift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone -- I own an older Snorkel boom lift, am preparing to change the hydraulic fluid, and need to tap into the expertise of the group.

Snorkel's specs call for AW32, which you'd think would be simple enough. However, when I started looking for fluid, the range of prices has left me baffled. I can get a 5 gallon pail from Walmart for about $25, auto parts store house brands for about $50, petroleum company name brands for $100 and up, and Amsoil for $150 as a preferred customer.

Also, I'm left wondering how "hard" a lift is on its hydraulic fluid. It's not like this thing is an excavator or bucket lift. In fact, I'm a homeowner that uses it occasionally, so it sits a lot.

From the reading I've done here and elsewhere, the robustness of the additive package varies from brand to brand. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I'm not adverse to spending a few extra bucks to maintain my equipment, but don't want to spend money unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance, Mark

I would buy the best quality oil to protect and preserve the hydraulic system.

If it's simple hydraulics, the needed package is VERY low.

Premium hydraulic fluid is ONLY needed when you have:
1) Wet disc brakes (friction modifier needed)
2) Power-shift transmission (friction modifier)
3) Final gear drives/ hypoids lubricated by hydraulic fluid (extreme pressure additives)

So, really - unless you have a farm tractor with these features, nearly any hydraulic fluid will work... even Dexron/Mercon is fine.

A simple hydraulic pump that raises and lowers cylinders lives a very easy life, and changing the fluid is often not necessary UNLESS it becomes contaminated.

Hello, Mark!
welcome2.gif

I would hesitate to make any vague generalizations on performance based upon price or purchase location.

Do you know what pump (manufacturer) your lift is equipped with? What's important is selecting a fluid that's approved/recommended/suitable for the particular unit.

As best I can determine, the hydraulic pump is a Fenner. The service manual calls for Mobil DTE 13M. That's been superseded by Mobil DTE 10 Excel 32, which is an AW32.

Does this help?

Hmm. Looking at the Amsoil site, I see the HVH you mentioned, which is ISO32. The fluid specified in the service manual has been superseded by an AW32 fluid.

Looking back at the Amsoil site, there's also AWH, which is an anti-wear formulation. AWH is about $150 for a five gallon pail.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about hydraulics to know if using one vs. the other would make a difference in my case. As another forum member mentioned, the fluid in a lift doesn't live that hard a life. Would HVH be adequate?

Originally Posted By: BeneteauMark
Would HVH be adequate?

Any inexpensive hydraulic fluid that meets AW32 will be just fine.

Do NOT expect any miracles from oil that costs more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back