What would ceratec do in exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put a new header on the Bug, and one of the exhaust pipes on the old header was white. It feels hard and smooth, not ashy like deposits from a lean cylinder usually feel. It runs too good for me to think one cylinder could be that lean. I did have ceratec in the oil. If the rings on that cylinder were allowing blowby, could the ceratec getting into the exhaust plate the inside of the header pipe white?

More info: It's fuel injected, the injectors are new, and my wideband 02 sensor did not indicate a lean condition.

Last edited:
What does the spark plug look like?If I understand you are thing the Ceratech is plating the inside of the header pipe? It would take lots of oil burning if that is what you are asking .

Don't discount the PCV system's ability to introduce oil vapor into the combustion process as well. I get about 1-2oz per every 1000 miles in my catch can, depending on the driving I'm doing. More if it's freeway, less if it's low speed

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Don't discount the PCV system's ability to introduce oil vapor into the combustion process as well. I get about 1-2oz per every 1000 miles in my catch can, depending on the driving I'm doing. More if it's freeway, less if it's low speed

PCV? It's a '67 Beetle.
grin.gif
I do have a hose running from the oil tower vent to the throttle bodies. I don't know if it actually does anything but it looks official.

I'm going to check plugs and swap the fuel injector to another cylinder to see if the lean condition migrates with it. The ceratec coating is just theorizing at this point to amuse myself.

It's still a vent system lol

Unless yours is different for some reason: A friend of mine had a '70 bug. His old engine had such bad blowby it would spit oil out of the tube all over the ground

Seems like it will be an injector problem. Three black plugs, one white one. I swapped the injector to another cylinder to see if the lean condition moves with it.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro

PCV? It's a '67 Beetle.
grin.gif
I do have a hose running from the oil tower vent to the throttle bodies. I don't know if it actually does anything but it looks official.

Disconnect it(plug the line on throttle body) and you will pretty quickly see that it IS doing something. You'll likely find an oily mess spraying out the hose.

I don't know the details of how this system is set up on a Beetle engine, but you need some source of make-up air for the crank case. The arrangements I'm familiar with often introduce it through a filtered/ventilated oil filler cap.

Crankcase ventilation systems were-I think-the earliest emissions controls required and by 1967 all US market cars had them in one way or another. Some used a PCV system, and other used a negative pressure system like what you have.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro

PCV? It's a '67 Beetle.
grin.gif

Disconnect it(plug the line on throttle body) and you will pretty quickly see that it IS doing something. You'll likely find an oily mess spraying out the hose.

I don't know the details of how this system is set up on a Beetle engine, but you need some source of make-up air for the crank case. The arrangements I'm familiar with often introduce it through a filtered/ventilated oil filler cap.

Crankcase ventilation systems were-I think-the earliest emissions controls required and by 1967 all US market cars had them in one way or another. Some used a PCV system, and other used a negative pressure system like what you have.

When new, it would have had a dump tube and a hose (not under much, if any, vacuum ... mostly a vent) running to the air cleaner from the oil tower. Now, it has a hose running to a T, then to each air cleaner. It sucks quite a bit of oil/whatever vapor. I'll get a picture when I put on my stainless muffler, tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back