2001 Valkyrie: Valvoline MC Syn Oil, 10w/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening To All,

Here is my latest report for my 2001 Valkyrie; miles on oil 1,275 with 36,763 miles on the bike, 13 months on the oil - I am the original owner, it's a keeper.

If you pro-rate the miles comparing it to the Rotella 15/40 Conventional, you get the same number of wear materials, 22 in total. The flashpoint is better with the Valoline, it stayed in grade, and I only paid $6.00 per quart for Val's Motorcycle Syn oil; Walmart had a great price on it.

With that said, it appears that Rotella won as it only cost me I believe $3.00 a quart, I bought it from WalMart, 1 gal jug for I think $12.00.

I'm no expert, could be totally wrong on this, but it appears to me there is no need to overpay by buying the boutique oils that are $10-$18 per quart.

Also, it doesn't seem that it's that critical to change out the oil at the 12 month mark, regardless of miles. I put about 100 miles per month on the bike.

Comments?

Originally Posted By: RevRider
Good Evening To All,

With that said, it appears that Rotella won as it only cost me I believe $3.00 a quart, I bought it from WalMart, 1 gal jug for I think $12.00.

I'm no expert, could be totally wrong on this, but it appears to me there is no need to overpay by buying the boutique oils that are $10-$18 per quart.

Also, it doesn't seem that it's that critical to change out the oil at the 12 month mark, regardless of miles. I put about 100 miles per month on the bike.

Comments?

Yes, yes, and yes.
You could get comparable results with any of the available HDEO's.
My only objection on my ST1300 was that Valvoline Premium Blue gave me a very grabby clutch. Enough to notice, enough to really feather leaving stoplights. I liked Delvac the best, then Rotella. YMMV.

Thanks for sharing the UOA.

BTW, how many miles can you safely put on Rotella 15W40? Have you ever tried Delvac and after how many miles you replaced it?

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

I always change my oil on my bikes at basically 3,000 miles or 1 year, whatever comes first. I suspect that Rotella 15w/40 conventional could do 5,000 miles.

I've never used Delvac so I can't comment on the mileage.

Thanks for your comments.

Nice reports on the engine.

Of all the name brand motorcycle oils I always felt Valvoline was among the best at any priced motorcycle oil and underrated by people in forums, sometimes I think that is due to its reasonable price.
I see you used the synthetic, good stuff - robust.
I think you would also find the conventional just as good of any conventional brand as well.
and yes of course, ANY CJ4 HEDO will do the job, being robust by nature.

Last edited:
Good Morning Alarmguy,

I agree with your "underrated" statement. I might try the Valvoline Conventional 10/40 next time, I can get that at #3.98/qt. from Walmart, but I think this is a valid statement that for performance per dollar value, it is tough to beat the HEDO product lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back