FJR1300 Valve Cover Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to doing a valve check on my FJR. I'm at 35k miles (yes, I'm overdue but it's a lot of work!) and have always used a variety of 5w40 and 15w40 diesel oils in this bike (20w40 oil is the Yamaha spec). Clean as a whistle! I change early, 2000 miles typically since I've done a couple of oil analysis which showed considerable thinning as well as some minor fuel dilution. I think with the bike transmission chewing up the oil, shorter intervals make sense. At any rate, thought I'd share the pics! Oh by the way, all valves were in spec so I didn't have to remove the cams for an actual adjustment which seems to be the norm on these bikes.

Looks great!

I've always lusted after an FJR. The big sport-tourer has always appealed to me.

Someday, perhaps...

I love the bike! I was having a bit of a problem due to the slightly lean forward riding position causing shoulder cramps on a long ride but last summer I put some set-backs on the handlebars so I sit more upright. Look forward to testing that out on some longer rides this summer. That is... if we ever have a summer here in Seattle! What a crummy Spring this has been!

You see why there are so many 300,000 mile FJR's and they are overwhelming used on IRON Butt competitions. They are heavier, do not handle as well (slight difference) than the BMW's, and mostly do not suffer all the failures.

Rod

My 2007 FJR has been rock solid reliable although it did have a couple of recalls when it was new (computer & ignition switch). I've read about some of the problems BMW riders deal with and I'm glad I bought the FJR! About the only problem I have currently with my FJR is the front fork seals are leaking a bit and cleaning the seals (film trick) sort of fixed it but they really need new seals. I did a very hard brake with a hard dive on the forks that seems to have blown some oil up past the seals and they've been leaking ever since.

Now about that Iron Butt ride, the FJR stock seat is pretty crummy for long rides in my opinion. I really want to get a custom seat sometime this summer.

You really have to ride a lot to feel the difference between the FJR and the BMW, it is there and significant.

Both are really competent bikes. The lower weight, better turn in and ability to easily upgrade the suspension to superior shocks say BMW Lower reliability, sparse dealer network and cost say FJR. The FJR will win any drag race and the BMW will win on tight twisty roads. My 09 last of the hex heads is the end of a era and better last me cause it will be my last BMW twin.

Rod

Very clean engine. I check my CBR valves at about the same mileage, and they too were still in spec. I think it's common on Japanese shim and bucket motors.

I like the FJR1300 and the much earlier air-cooled FJ1100 and FJ1200's.

Originally Posted By: Scout1

I hate to point this out, but it appears that the plating is coming off the cyl #1 exhaust cam lobe.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Scout1 said:
I hate to point this out, but it appears that the plating is coming off the cyl #1 exhaust cam lobe.

Yeah, I noticed that mark too. However I don't believe they plate cam lobes do they? At any rate, it does seem a bit more than what I saw on the other lobes although all show some wear marks. I've see this before but not sure it's anything to worry about. Since these are directly hitting on the buckets without rollers, these wear marks may be more prominent on this sort of design I would think. Anyone else have input?

Some are plated. Yours clearly are. They do it to increase surface hardness, and to reduce wear and friction. Will it quit running right away? No. But it will wear faster than it otherwise would with the plating intact.

I didn't notice that at first, good eye. I can't tell if that is actually flaking, or some weird reflection. It sure looks like flaking. Is the bike back together yet? I didn't see any flakes laying around in the pics.

FJRValve%20003_zpstv3rety0.jpg

I recall checking the valves in mine, it takes a while to get it torn down to that point.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's all back together. I was in kind of a hurry to get it done but I probably should have examined the cams closer. They all had these shiny areas on them so I wasn't concerned. The photo may be making it look worse than it is. Like I said, these cams rub on the buckets directly so it's like a flat tappet engine. Oh well, if it's a problem, time will tell. Right now the bike is running great!

Here's another picture I took that shows another angle at that lobe, doesn't look so much like it's flaking here although now I see some strange marking on the intake! Shoot, I donno, maybe the thing is falling apart!!!
crazy.gif

Ha ha... now that I study these pictures a bit closer, I'm pretty sure we're just looking at a reflection of the cam cap on the lobes! It looks like there is a texture difference but it is just reflecting the rougher texture of the casting of the cam cap. Whew...

Searched all over the web and couldn't find anything about FJRs having plated cams. I've never seen any camshaft that was plated; they are normally case hardened to keep the wear down.

Top end looks good Scout1.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Searched all over the web and couldn't find anything about FJRs having plated cams. I've never seen any camshaft that was plated; they are normally case hardened to keep the wear down.

I've seen a lot of plated cams, having built and rebuilt thousands of engines (if including the racing engines I've worked on for the last 14 years or so). Anyway, it sure looks like a plated cam experiencing flaking of the plating to me. But I haven't had a modern FJR apart.

At any rate, if it is failed plating on the cam, the lobe won't be wiped out overnight.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I've seen a lot of plated cams, having built and rebuilt thousands of engines (if including the racing engines I've worked on for the last 14 years or so). Anyway, it sure looks like a plated cam experiencing flaking of the plating to me. But I haven't had a modern FJR apart.

At any rate, if it is failed plating on the cam, the lobe won't be wiped out overnight.

I don't doubt there's been chrome plated camshaft lobes used on something. I've never seen it on any Japanese bikes I've worked on. I doubt Scout1's FJR has plated cam lobes.

If the lobes are plated, there should be a distinct difference in the look of the lobe compared to the rest of the camshaft (like shown below on a plated follower and shift fork). They wouldn't plate the whole camshaft, just the lobes.

I had a 1984 Honda VF700 that ate cams just as described in this article and got them replaced under warranty, but I recall Honda couldn't say exactly why they failed. The single actuator for two valves was a bad design to start with, and I recall that adjusting the valves on the V4 with the Mickey Mouse special tool was a royal pain. This article explains why. http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/v4_cams_what.html

Scott, you don't need to show me pics from the internet. I've seen plating on camshafts before.

Having lots of experience, I know what it looks like to me.

But it's irrelevant, because the bike is back together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back