Blizzard headed to New England for Tue

Status
Not open for further replies.
The forecast is for about 10" to 11" starting early Tuesday morning. My daughter is all worried about driving to daycare and then to work.

While I am not excited about the snow I am more concerned about the high winds we have been having recently. I was driving in Pittsfield yesterday and parts looked like smog in the air
when it was really dust blowing across the street.

Recent studies ( cited on the weather channel all the time lately) have show you are far more likely to have an accident with only 1-2" of accumulation, as this is when the roads are more likely to be glazed over.

^ That and they won't schedule the plow drivers for overtime if it's just a flurry blowing through.

Just had a very long commute because rain washed the residual salt off then a flurry as described came in on a cold front. Tire tracks were black ice.

Our Subie is parked in long-term parking at Bradley International (Hartford). We fly back from FL Tuesday. I'm glad I left the snow tires on, even though the 10-day forecast last week showed higher temps and no snow.......

That is, if our flight isn't canceled

3-5" expected here. Not a blizzard by any means, but it's just sad because flowers are starting to come up already.

Morel mushroom season is most likely done too.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The forecast is for about 10" to 11" starting early Tuesday morning. My daughter is all worried about driving to daycare and then to work.

While I am not excited about the snow I am more concerned about the high winds we have been having recently. I was driving in Pittsfield yesterday and parts looked like smog in the air

What does she do? Can she work from home? Has she been trained for winter driving, and have appropriate equipment, including snow tires?

Id be concerned about taking my children out in a storm too. Sometimes it is what it is, but not going out reduces risk to zero. Im not that concerned about my gear and skills, but rather the idiots in 4x4s barreling through who then get into a condition where they lose control. Snow is better than icy conditions, but you never know what youre going to get...

Stay safe everybody, my wife is flying back from Buffalo to Texas on Tuesday morning.

We are hoping she gets out of dodge before the flights start to cancel.

Weather got pretty darn cold and wet here as well, lower 40's right now. Had to run the gas furnace this morning.

Its 52 here this morning, windy and cloudy. Yep, just about blizzard conditions for this area. And you folks from where it actually is winter would get a kick when looking at how everyone is bundled up around here. Our cold would probably be short sleeve weather for you up in New England.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Its 52 here this morning, windy and cloudy. Yep, just about blizzard conditions for this area. And you folks from where it actually is winter would get a kick when looking at how everyone is bundled up around here. Our cold would probably be short sleeve weather for you up in New England.
I would be out in shorts at 52 degrees!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Donald

What does she do? Can she work from home? Has she been trained for winter driving, and have appropriate equipment, including snow tires?

Id be concerned about taking my children out in a storm too. Sometimes it is what it is, but not going out reduces risk to zero. Im not that concerned about my gear and skills, but rather the idiots in 4x4s barreling through who then get into a condition where they lose control. Snow is better than icy conditions, but you never know what youre going to get...

My daughter is an analysist at a major insurance company in Hartford. She knows how to drive in snow but get anxiety attacks when it snows. Her husband has 4WD works trucks and can drive her if needed. The main issue is her company is behind the times in letting people WFH.

They're calling for anywhere between 6"-14". Unfortunately I will likely working out of town, but in the off chance I'm home I made sure the snow-blower runs. Moved the truck off the street, unfortunately it's hanging off the driveway into the yard halfway, but nothing I could do about that.

My wife is not entrahalled as this hits her three day per week job as PT at a hospital that is 35 miles each way.

She is a seasoned driver in New England but a 40 min ride is 2hrs with weather on outskirts of Boston. She has Subaru wagon at least with decent all seasons. Her hope is it's so bad that people work from home helping trim traffic.

I am ecstatic for the desperately needed snow on ski slopes and Friday is $17 lift tickets at my favorite NH mountain.

Isn't it late in the season for something like this?
We are having atypical cold ATM with well below 20F on my thermometer earlier this morning.
We are also forecast to see snow Tuesday although nothing like what's in store for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back