What to do - from XP ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a number of PC's still running XP Pro. Mostly because they are running older paid for software like full copies of Office, A-CAD, etc. I know that MicroSoft is still secretly maintaining XP becasue of embedded code in ATM's and other hard coded systems. Guess that's why it has worked so long ...

But some of these PC's are running legacy apps that I can't replace like the one I'm typing on. It's Mom's old PC (imaged into a later chassis/cpu) and it has the family geology on it with a copy of the software that access's it. She's gone now, so we are just maintaining it so my sister can access it.

FireFox has recently stated no more XP support starting later this year. So I'll have maybe 9 months to find a solution. I will not rent software. If I have to buy, I'm only going to do this once for the foreseeable future. I've successfully run XP Pro for more than 15 years. I'd like to duplicate that run if I can.

On top of that, I'd like to run my existing software including A-Cad and Arcview. The two biggest expenses.

So what to upgrade to? Win something, but what? 7, 8, 10 - I have no idea what with run the legacy software that is currently compatible with XP Pro ... Any insight or recommendation gladly considered
smile.gif

Yes I'm a Luddite (sort of) but I was in the IT game for many years ancillary to my engineering career. And I REALY got tired of the churn and burn. I just stepped away. I'm retired now and on fixed income, so there is no budget to support much ...

Last edited:
You have options. Since your old legacy software and drivers are unsignatured, 64 bit Windows 10 will throw a fit.

You can run run 32 bit windows 10 and install and run your legacy software in compatability mode.

Or you can install any operating system you want and run a 32 bit version of windows (any) in a virtual machine. You could actually just run your imaged XP rig in a virtual machine and call it a day. DEP and virtualization will keep you protected enough. Avoid web browsing on the virtual machine and just browse the web on your host OS.

That sounds like a plan. I'll consider it. But since my brain quite growing about 8 years ago, what O/S would make the most sense? I need browser access, Skype for the grand baby (Europe) and a few other apps that will have to run in the native O/S...

Last edited:
Check out DraftSight as a replacement for 2d autocad. It's free from the same company that makes Solidworks. If it has the functionality you need then you don't have to worry about upgrading windows and losing ACad.

Understood, but it's A-Cad MAP (their GIS) and I doubt there is a free version ... Don't use it often, but comes in handy when I need to geo-reference a DWG file.

You said you had several machines. What about keeping one with XP Pro and older software, and one you a newer version of Windows?

Get a copy of Microsoft's free VirtualPC application, create a WinXP Pro virtual machine, and run your legacy apps inside that. You can then use any currently supported WindowsOS to host the VM, and "enjoy" modern Microsoft technology.

I'm in that boat too! Love using XP for years, don't wanna change!

But for online use, I'll use a garbage Win 7 laptop, I got nearly free.

But any real work, writing, etc, I'll do offline if I have to, in MS Word 97
using XP SP2, then I'll PDF like I usually do and post.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Have a number of PC's still running XP Pro. Mostly because they are running older paid for software like full copies of Office, A-CAD, etc. I know that MicroSoft is still secretly maintaining XP becasue of embedded code in ATM's and other hard coded systems. Guess that's why it has worked so long ...

But some of these PC's are running legacy apps that I can't replace like the one I'm typing on. It's Mom's old PC (imaged into a later chassis/cpu) and it has the family geology on it with a copy of the software that access's it. She's gone now, so we are just maintaining it so my sister can access it.

FireFox has recently stated no more XP support starting later this year. So I'll have maybe 9 months to find a solution. I will not rent software. If I have to buy, I'm only going to do this once for the foreseeable future. I've successfully run XP Pro for more than 15 years. I'd like to duplicate that run if I can.

On top of that, I'd like to run my existing software including A-Cad and Arcview. The two biggest expenses.

So what to upgrade to? Win something, but what? 7, 8, 10 - I have no idea what with run the legacy software that is currently compatible with XP Pro ... Any insight or recommendation gladly considered
smile.gif

Yes I'm a Luddite (sort of) but I was in the IT game for many years ancillary to my engineering career. And I REALY got tired of the churn and burn. I just stepped away. I'm retired now and on fixed income, so there is no budget to support much ...

Typically when a company wants support for unsupported software they enter a contract to pay for that support. So MS may well be maintaining XP but consumers will not get hold of the fixes.

Originally Posted By: Donald

smile.gif

Typically when a company wants support for unsupported software they enter a contract to pay for that support. So MS may well be maintaining XP but consumers will not get hold of the fixes.

Luddite I like that.
smile.gif

I too have one XP DT with full auto-cad, photoshop and some other $$$ SW on it. I don't allow it on the 'net and it stays unplugged most of the time.

I also have an even older box running W98 with an expensive ISA acoustical analyzer card installed. It's only turned on when making acoustical measurements. It's on the network to send files to the printer. I don't allow it exposure to the 'net.

My old main machine retired a few yrs ago was WXP. Not completely kept up-to-date, but didn't worry about it too much as it was locked down pretty good and I'm the only one using it.

With Win vista/7/8/10 you'll have to deal with UAC. I'd look for a W7 machine installed to use as your daily and move over as much as possible to it. Keep the old machine(s) and network them. You may be able to use them headless with remote access, but that's above my pay grade.

I do much prefer W7 over XP....much improved.

Put your computer in the bin and never touch one again. XP was perhaps the last good Microsoft OS. Windows 10 is a half-baked piece of (expletive), 7 is pretty good, but is rapidly facing extinction, too.

8 seemed to be relatively solid, and usable - especially with the ClassicShell extensions.

Linux is where I'll go next. It isn't perfect by a LONG stretch, but its better than where Windows and OS X have gone in the last few years.

Run the XP units to run your old programs, just don't do anything where security is concerned. Upgrade your OS and computer for security sensitive chores. I still use an XP machine for general web browsing and to run some legacy programs.

While you're fixing the OS side, try getting all those
old peripherals for maintenance like IDE drives or
early small SATA drives, printers with parallel ports,
mouse and keyboards, etc.

when I upgrade keep around the old equipment until
I back it up and make it available using a USB drive.

Bob

Linux mint, image your drives so you have full backups of them, then load said images into a virtual machine, virtualbox is what i use. i have several apps i can't afford to replace, mechanical desktop, photoshop, and a few others.
i switched to linux years ago, i have a windows 7 partition for a few games i like. and virtual machines for the rest.
look into it. linux is very powerful, there is programs that can play with your DWG files.
or like most have said, keep the XP boxes off the internet, get a modern system, and enjoy, i vote Linux, then windows 7, i HATE windows 10.

I'm probably late to the party but here goes:

First off, if you're looking to future proof it makes zero sense to not go to a 64 bit OS if your hardware supports it. Most processors for the last 10 years support 64 bit. If your unsure if yours does your system info within the control panel should tell you. If you plan to run virtualization your processor and motherboard must support it. To check start/restart your computer then repeatedly press the hotkey (del or F2 usually) to you access the BIOS/UEFI. Look for VTx or amd-v support under CPU configuration or a field under virtualization to enable disable. If so then you're good to go. If none of your computers has this ability then running VM ware is out of the question without a hardware upgrade.

Secondly, Windows and Linux are 32 bit programs compatible within 64 bit OS'. That's why there's two program directories within windows file explorer. The problem is if you're running a 32 bit OS you cannot run any 64 bit programs. Not a serious issue now but it will be in the future.

My recommendation is to try Linux in the 64bit flavor, if able, and see if that works for you with their various software alternatives. If not then windows 10 64 bit with, if necessary, a hardware upgrade might be your best bet. From there you can run WXp on VM with your old 16 bit ,I'm assuming, programs.

OK, I'll build a new machine and install 10 ... See how it goes running legacy software (excluding ACAD and ArcView which will remain on XP, off-line). I guess that's the best I can do for now.

Too bad, I really liked the built-in sound card and other system resources (HP XW4400 Workstation)
smile.gif

OK, another question. I have a big'ish Apple display for a desktop Mac system. I'd like to hook it to the Win 10 machine when it's built. Anyone know what's involved?

OK, another question. I have a big'ish Apple display for a desktop Mac system. I'd like to hook it to the Win 10 machine when it's built. Anyone know what's involved?

I've never used a Mac nor the desire to pay for their exclusivity so I don't know. However, I did a search so this might help.

Not to be a jerk, but quit being cheap and buy everything new.

You can get a dell computer with windows 10 and a 3 year warranty for under 400 dollars.

Why mess with a 20 year old computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back