Modified BMW 335i, N55 oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
ASMOIL AFL 5w-40 is LL-04 approved, none of them are LL-01 at this time.

You are right, it has Porsche A40 and MB 229.5.

Another option would be Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40. It is LL-01 approved and apparently NOACK is only 6.2%

Originally Posted By: HolyOilSeeker
Just like the marketing from these oil companies, they tried to blur truth. There is a difference between saying approved versus recommended or suggested. Redline or Cam2 blue blood have suggestions on their website not approvals. Buyer beware. I'm going to stay with Castrol for now. I appreciate the thoughts and information.

Another thought on blurred truth.
- Many of these "brands" do not even have real licensed API, JASO, or ILSAC quality standard specked oils. Many brands will just say meets ILSAC GF-5, API SM. In my opinion if an oil company has good values or a higher quality standard system in place they will blatantly say on the bottle or data sheet the real specifications. (Ex: Licensed API SM, Licensed ILSAC GF-5, Approvals:BMW Longlife-01.
- Also what type of base oils are at least used? Many oil companies are devious and wont even put the proper information on the bottle as to what it is made with. Many oil brands that are bottled in the US are very misleading and will say "with synthetics" when in fact most all oils have synthetics in them. They will create a 'brand name, trade mark, or slogan with the word synthetic in it' to mislead the consumer to think all there oils are made with full synthetics.....
- When choosing my oils I like to use oils that say what they are. In my opinion this tells you what type of company they are. High-Quality oils are still made with minerals as well as, hydrocrack, PAO, and esters. They are all brewed with a concoction of multiple synthetic additives. Many oils are made to be good and better for your car or just a sufficient sub standard level. In most cases you get what you pay for. The same goes for beer, wines, and liquor. If you like bud light......you get what you pay for. Or you could drink a micro brew that someone crafted? Use an oil that says it has BMW Longlife-01 "Approval"
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back