Gulf Formula GX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought Formula GX 5w40 full SAPS, 229.5, LL01 oil for 18.50 Euro.(4 litre).Quick internet search show it is a new style jug. Bevo list show MB approval is genuine.

This is BY FAR cheapest real spec synthetic, next one is SHU for 25 Euros.

Did any of have any experience with this Gulf stuff, not many info out there?

I haven't used it yet but have some on the shelf to use in my Merc. I also satisfied myself that the 229.5 approval was genuine so it has to be good oil. I paid a similar price but for 5L.

There is a cheaper 229.5 oil on ebay and the price is an astonishing £54.95 for 20L for genuine MB full synthetic from the Newcastle MB dealer.

Yes, group III no doubts. I've just made an oil change in my car, from SHU to this Gulf. All normal for now.

Weather is finally getting nice and warm. It was sunny today, 16-17 *c but it does go down over night to about 6-7.
This was cold winter by our standards, -8 in my local for a few days. Normally doesn't go below freezing.

Winter is gone, and I'm not going to miss it.

How is it over there, on the news they say you guys have some serious storms in the northeast? Hopefully it will pass soon, it's strange it came this late in winter.

Gulf uses local blenders it seems. A lot of european gulf products seem to be made in the Netherlands.

My favourite in their lineup is Formula G 0w-30.

This jug was manufactured in the Netherlands too. There is one oddity with this oil, it is a little strange that it does not pass ACEA B4 requirements, only the B3. Being 229.5, LL01 I mean.

It doesn't matter to me as I'm using it in a petrol car but, for some that might use it in a CR diesels it would be different.

Edit: local importer claims that Gulf uses Mobil base oils, however that could be marketing gimmick to help push what is completely unknown product.

Last edited:
I had a look at my bottle and it said manufactured under licence in the EU for Gulf Oil International also A3/B3 which is curious given I thought A3/B4 was a prerequisite for 229.5.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Is Gulf made by Total?

Not Total,the Ashland Group in the Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back