Clunky Monroe OE Spectrum Strut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had 4 Monroe OE Spectrum Struts installed on my Corolla about a month ago; just struts. Used original mounts, springs etc. as the mounts/bearings are still fine.

One of the struts clunks when it's cold. It's not loud, it's not on every bump, it's just noticeable. I've taken it back twice, they checked all the mounting hardware, it's all tight, the spring isn't moving in the perches (it's tight). They can't hear the noise and it only seems to do it after I've driven, then the car gets cold and the temps drop in the evening.

There's no leaking, it drives fine, and it doesn't make the noise for the shop, so they won't warranty it unless they can hear a definitive loud clunk. They said come back when it's noticeable to them.

This is kind of frustrating, but I guess I'll have to live with it.

Anyone else had a clunky Monroe strut??? I also noticed the center shaft sticks up about 1/2 an inch longer than other struts for this car as the dust caps for the bearings barely fit. They have softened up considerably as well. I wish Bilstein still made struts for this car...

I have Bilstein 4600 series mono tube yellow struts in my CRV and the ride is stiff. I've had them in for about 80,000 miles and the ride is the same as it was the day I installed them. I was going to change them out for the Bilstein twin tubes which I've read are close to OEM in design and ride comfort. I'm getting old and the stiff ride is starting to get to me. The only reason I didn't change them out is because one of the struts is on backorder from Germany and it may take a few months to get. Anyways if you're young, I'm sure you will enjoy the 4600 Bilsteins; but if you are old, the twin tubes may be up your alley.

Not locked into place.

Loosen rod nut (21mm) 3-4 turns.
Then, 10mm on rod and rotate a quarter turn until it locks into place.
Retighten rod-nut to 36ft-lbs.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Not locked into place.

Loosen rod nut (21mm) 3-4 turns.
Then, 10mm on rod and rotate a quarter turn until it locks into place.
Retighten rod-nut to 36ft-lbs.

That is exactly what I think the issue is; the upper perch is keyed with a notch in the strut shaft, and it's not installed correctly.

Can I do what you're saying while the strut is still on the car???

Last edited:
Where do I put the 10mm on the rod??? Best I can tell, the only way I could turn the strut shaft is with vice grips. Have you worked on struts for this particular vehicle Ramblejam???

I appreciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back