grease on pistol slide ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've useoil. But do you guys think about grease only on the pistol slides? I think i might hold dirt/ burnt powder while you are still shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I've useoil. But do you guys think about grease only on the pistol slides? I think i might hold dirt/ burnt powder while you are still shooting.

I use a combination of both. I clean after each range trip, so I'm not worried about any accumulation of dirt or burnt powder. I use both the Weapon Shield Lithium Grease, with a couple of drops of Weapon Shield Oil. All the slides on my auto pistols run slicker than snot.

I thought this was gonna be a thread about grease for caliper slide pins. I'm in the wrong place!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I thought this was gonna be a thread about grease for caliper slide pins. I'm in the wrong place!
shocked2.gif

I thought it was going to be about some sicko who wanted to see kids shooting off playground slides and flying into the monkey bars... ;^)

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I thought it was going to be about some sicko who wanted to see kids shooting off playground slides and flying into the monkey bars... ;^)

LOL!

Depends on the use. I would not use grease on weapons that will be used in a cold environment, or on guns that are exceedingly tight in their slide to frame fit (like on a Les Baer 1911).

For grease I really like the Wilson Combat stuff. Their red Universal lube is also a great in between lube. Thicker than most gun oils so it stays put better, but not as thick as a grease.

As far as grease holding debris, well so can oil. Grease is just a bit more of a pain in the butt to clean out of nooks and crannies.

Grease is often used on carry guns so it wouldn't stain clothes as opposed to oil (leaking, dripping off etc).
Range guns run fine with oil.
This is just general use and ideas, there will always be exceptions.

If it'll face cold, you can try and find NGLI #1 rated; it's the thinnest grease AFAIK. I've found a NGLI #1-1/2 grease that is pretty free running even with the cold temps we've had here the last few days.

I use LSA as a general gun lube, it's a NLGI 00 grease that's creepy but stays put pretty well.

Some pistols, such as aluminum framed Sigs wear better when greased.

When I was working armed outside in the winter I used CLP as it's thinner when cold.

BSW

TW-25B is quite thin. Stays in place and the autos on which I've used it have worked well with it.

It's also quite expensive.

I honestly can't tell a functional difference in a handgun with the grease over standard gun oil.

Last edited:
+1 ... I like this idea !
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: spasm3

I use a combination of both. I clean after each range trip, so I'm not worried about any accumulation of dirt or burnt powder. I use both the Weapon Shield Lithium Grease, with a couple of drops of Weapon Shield Oil. All the slides on my auto pistols run slicker than snot.

A lot of good suggestions here ... The 1911 crowd often use Lucas "Red 'N Tacky" NLGI#1 grease which is not too thick and stays in place well . Super Lube Grease is a great synthetic grease which can be mixed with Super Lube oil to make what ever thickness you want . Lastly Amazon sells a NLGI #00 grease for outdoor power equipment which is lighter than NLGI#1 grease - you can even add a little air tool oil to thin any of them out plus the added benefit of having a very slick mixture . The pre-made Wilson Combat lubes , Weapon Shield , etc. are all great options - but as Grant Cunningham states : "There is not much going on new with lubes that has not already been put on the market some time ago" ...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I honestly can't tell a functional difference in a handgun with the grease over standard gun oil.

Oh shoot me
smile.gif
I was convinced that you are such an expert that you will be able to differ wetter there is two stroke oil on gun rails or just standard "gunoil" only by your feel in your hands when cycling particular gun!

I use grease on carry pistols. Why? Because a gun lubed today will be lubed 1 year from now, 2 years from now, etc.

TW25B stays put. Lube up a Sig P226 with Remoil or CLP and it will be bone dry in 30 days. With grease, it stays lubed year round.

If I lived in an arctic environement, I would still use grease in the summer time, but use G96 synthetic CLP gun oil in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back